Is This A Fossil?

oasis

the echinoid has gone and all that is left is the internal mould and that is what you found not the best preserved but a worn conulus

what area are you ?

ahh, i see. well a find none the less. im grimsby, ne lincs. if i wanted to find more, are there any tips you could give me? ie, what i should look for, how to retrieve etc. Chris

ahh, i see. well a find none the less. im grimsby, ne lincs. if i wanted to find more, are there any tips you could give me? ie, what i should look for, how to retrieve etc. Chris

you say theres a quarry nr look on line for the geology of your area ,your in the chalk so look over the surface if you found conulus

you will find other echinoids and other fossils

you say theres a quarry nr look on line for the geology of your area ,your in the chalk so look over the surface if you found conulus

you will find other echinoids and other fossils

spot on. thanks for your advice andy, this is a good site. gunna sign off for now, but will pop on at some point tommorrow eve. thanks for the info, hope to catch you then. regards. Chris

spot on. thanks for your advice andy, this is a good site. gunna sign off for now, but will pop on at some point tommorrow eve. thanks for the info, hope to catch you then. regards. Chris

ok look on ukfossil website

Of course theres more get out there and get em. Cool echinoid!

Yes where there is one there is usually more! to add another inverterbrate person on the forum. Welcome to the forum and cool little find :D It is always nice

-CQ

Thank you C.Q. Yea very interesting subject, what is this actually called then, is is paelentology? Ive never even really considered this before, but am very curious now lol. Chris

Welcome to the forum, Oasis, and congrats on your find. :) That is "paleontology".

While it all may seem a tad overwhelming at first it settles down after a while and you just appreciate the world we live in a bit more. The terminology is strange for a while, but you get used to it. The camera work is challenging, but practice makes perfect....well, better at least. :D

Thanks Bear.Yes a tad overwhelming to say the least lol. ive certainly got the bug to go out and try to find more, it was just blind luck that i found what i did. up until yesterday i thought it might of been a meteorite or something hahaha. you live and learn. thanks again for the welcome, nice to speak to academic people for a change lol. Chris

You are most welcome, good sir. :) I agree, it is fun to speak with educated persons for a change, and this is a good place for just that. :D

Great hobby too, as long as you don't mind that most folks are not very interested in hearing about the topic. :blink:

You are most welcome, good sir. :) I agree, it is fun to speak with educated persons for a change, and this is a good place for just that. :D

Great hobby too, as long as you don't mind that most folks are not very interested in hearing about the topic. :blink:

Well thank you lol. i dont know what its like in the states, but over here we have the playstation generation, whatever happened to the pursuit of knowledge? i try to understand everything. so peole dont like to converse on the topic?? ahh iunderstand, well i dont reall want to know what level of GTA they are on lol, so live and let live. Chris

Edited by oasis