Megatooth found in Calvert Cliffs, MD

Jame Stuart

I found my first megatooth today! 

IMG_4280.thumb.jpg.29da727da09c2285621130a786c15f48.jpg

This was found in Calvert Cliffs Maryland, on my second kayaking trip down the Calvert formation. My and my friend visited beaches as we kayaked from Chesapeake Beach to Breezy Point and back. I found this tooth about half way down. Unfortunately this will be my last trip down Calvert Cliffs for a long time, so I am very happy I found this!

I believe this is Carcharocles Subauriculatus, could anyone verify this?

• I found this Informative 19

Great find! These teeth are currently called Otodus chubutensis, but there is some debate over whether the genus should be Carcharocles or Otodus

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations! 

Great color on that tooth. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A really nice tooth but I was wondering the same thing as Familyroadtrip.  Whats with the hooks on the sides of the root?

RB

• I found this Informative 1

That certainly is a beautiful tooth with great color and serrations.  That brings back memories of collecting there back when I was a teenager...haha.

Beautiful tooth, beautiful preservation, beautiful photo. Beautiful. :trilosurprise:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

A really nice tooth but I was wondering the same thing as Familyroadtrip.  Whats with the hooks on the sides of the root?

RB

I've sometimes seen them referred to as ears. I'm not sure what their purpose is. 

15 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Thanks everyone for the replies! I wish I could tell you what those are... ill make sure to update you if I ever find out.

Smoking find! Congrats, as mentioned above that is a Otodus chubutensis tooth and not a Megalodon but an ancestor of it.  Killer triangle!

On 9/5/2020 at 5:40 AM, RJB said:

They are called cusplets. They would be used to grasp prey, or to prevent food from getting stuck between shark's teeth, which would cause gum disease.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

56 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

They are called cusplets. They would be used to grasp prey, or to prevent food from getting stuck between shark's teeth, which would cause gum disease.

I think he was referring to the pointy bits on the side of the bone, not the blade.

1 hour ago, Jame Stuart said:

I think he was referring to the pointy bits on the side of the bone, not the blade.

Oh. Sorry for the post. :s_confused:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain