Fossil hunting ignaberga sweden and bjärsjölagård

Jurassicz1

Next friday im traveling to skåne sweden first im going to bjärsjölagård i have heard u can find sea scorpions is that true? Really wanna find one and then im going to ignaberga i really want to find shark teeth and marine reptile bones and teeth and crocodiles. Also sea urchins and big shells i know that belemites are often found there. I have heard people have found ammonites? Many people have said that some layers are more older or have more teeth altough not sure at what location how do i find that out? And have people maybe found skulls of marine reptiles. And should i look in the loose area or split rocks both? And what should i look for to try to find more bigger bones skulls/paddles/vertebraes And maybe jaws? I have looked online but only a site i think was called paleontica im not sure tho that u can find ammonites and marine repitles and dinosaurs.

On 5.9.2020 at 1:02 PM, Jurassicz said:

1)  to bjärsjölagård i have heard u can find sea scorpions is that true?

2)  then im going to ignaberga i really want to find shark teeth and marine reptile bones and teeth and crocodiles. Also sea urchins and big shells i know that belemites are often found there. I have heard people have found ammonites?

3) And should i look in the loose area or split rocks both?

4) And what should i look for to try to find more bigger bones skulls/paddles/vertebraes And maybe jaws?

1. "you can" is an euphemism for "some eurypterid parts were found within the last 100 +n years". Good luck. ;)

2. Shark teeth are possible, sea urchins, too, if outcrop conditions are good. Belemnites and shells should be common at a lot of sites. I have never seen ammonites from there.

3. For the first time carefull views to washed rock surfaces and erosional channels/gullies are a good way to get an overview, small to mid-size hammer is usefull, but you can get nice finds even only with your eyes (and luck, ofcourse).

4. For really good luck or some more decades of lifetime. Paddles/vertebraes/jaws are as nearly frequent as eurypterids in Bjärsjölagård. :zen:

• I found this Informative 1

20 hours ago, Johannes said:

PS: you should also take care about small street cutings around Ignaberga exposing coarse white sediments (green area = distribution of cretaceous sediments), because they are often not grazed by other collectors (avoid the use of hammers there...)

Oh ok im also going to stay at Hässleholm for a night are there any sites/outcrops there?

Different area in Sweden but I think worths to mention. 

A friend of mine is doing medieval history studies. He was doing field excavation in the island of Gotland and told me they were disposing lots of trilobites. The amazing thing was that the productive layer was just 30cm under soil. 

Bad news, most of these areas can be accessed only with permit since they are within agricultural fields.