American Museum of Natural History - March 2020

ThePhysicist

Hi y'all,

I went to the AMNH literally days before NY (and the world) shut down. There definitely seemed to be less people than I presumed was usual. Despite spending just a couple of hours there, I can say it's my favorite museum. Unlike many museums, most of the specimens on display are complete or mostly actual fossils. I really want to go back to take my time and comb through the entire museum. I wish I took more pictures - guess I was too busy admiring it all. You can tour the museum yourself on Google Earth (the link should drop you right into the Saurichian hall). 

I realize there are several other topics about the AMNH, but I figured I could contribute some new/more views of the same specimens or at least a couple of new things.

Façade:

IMG_5505.thumb.jpeg.55e4e0593f70393a2b025eb8185fdfbb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Right away you're greeted by this impressive display (Allosaurus vs Barosaurus):

IMG_5509.thumb.jpeg.bdd9e5d61292f3a0eb0a9e2a0b00c29b.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

IMG_5511.thumb.jpeg.40130fb826a3d99e8f93c69be6ac9a28.jpegIMG_5510.thumb.jpeg.a85952deb6b32fdc6034992004c3fc1c.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I then immediately went to the Saurichian wing.

Velociraptor mongoliensis (holotype skull):

IMG_5512.thumb.jpeg.9f833e089e6bdb161f156ab0f5f4023c.jpeg

Other dromaeosaur, with a velociraptor claw to the lower right:

IMG_5513.thumb.jpeg.30106d57b4fb5a36c29b063fd4c4de9a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Tyrannosaurus rex (AMNH 5027):

IMG_5514.thumb.jpeg.06279188fbdb0cffbbfaabf67ec0e2e6.jpeg

I believe AMNH 5027 has most of the rib and back bones, and the complete skull is in a display next to the rest of the skeleton.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

IMG_5515.thumb.jpeg.0ad72bf072d8dbf6e74078c79cf5f807.jpeg

You can kinda see that the skull is warped/crushed.

This is the first complete rex skull ever found. It's unfortunate for photography that many things here are in glass displays - can't get a good picture without reflections. 

IMG_5518.thumb.jpeg.5add141dc8d667baacaa0c31a1016fa3.jpegIMG_5516.thumb.jpeg.b1bdaa212f5da27c7a65a0daf9e36f3d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Allosaurus sp. (can't remember species if known):

IMG_5522.thumb.jpeg.7b19d387158ef85665e91aab8353555b.jpeg

This display has been like this for about 100 yrs. 

Skull:

IMG_5524.thumb.jpeg.aa41336009ba4801492cc33f502e0ec2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Artwork by Charles R. Knight:

Allosaurus (inspired by the display):

IMG_5523.thumb.jpeg.7e2be210ef5b05d59a4607e8e4d1acd6.jpeg

Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus:

IMG_5532.thumb.jpeg.dd040fe4e02100213515902d2a5ee08f.jpeg

Hall of Vertebrate Origins:

Dunkleosteus:

IMG_5527.thumb.jpeg.21f08be885c6f59a6d97b22cb0fd2d77.jpeg

Orthocanthus texensis (reconstructed jaws):

IMG_5528.thumb.jpeg.8493046035fc38f6321028e1e11611df.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Eryops (no teeth?):

IMG_5526.thumb.jpeg.da0606972619b64a08b0d054e6fe1c50.jpeg

Paleozoic shark teeth:IMG_5530.thumb.jpeg.73e6e5258547587e601d54e32e39a251.jpeg

More recent shark teeth:

IMG_5529.thumb.jpeg.dc82874b05338f6c0e5857085c0898f4.jpeg

Ornithician Hall:

Triceratops horridus (composite):

IMG_5533.thumb.jpeg.c906162bab6700097e5b72a63af84f79.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Edmontosaurus "mummy" (AMNH 5060):

IMG_5534.thumb.jpeg.a10c186d499a6c45168ea579fc430f27.jpeg

AMNH 5060 skin closeup:

IMG_5537.thumb.jpeg.8980fdf7d7f2d47c765a66dc0493e9d0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Stegosaurus sp.:

IMG_5539.thumb.jpeg.7b940186516a51ce0296bafdc442169c.jpeg

...and finally the lovely "Lucy."

Australopithecus afarensis:

IMG_5548.thumb.jpeg.d4e7abed9fe0e58a506b61d387e1433f.jpeg

This is of course a replica - the real Lucy is in Ethiopia. Most of the fossils in the human origins hall are reproductions. I didn't get many photos because it was so dark in there.

• Enjoyed 1

25 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Great shots despite the few reflections....oh! You're not done yet....

Thanks. Don't worry about it. 

I think that some of the small sculptures by the trike and stego are also made by Knight.

Thanks for your kid-in-a-candy-store report. It is quite a place, isn't it. I'm afraid it's been way too many years since I've been there, and I greatly enjoyed your photographic tour. I was startled, the last time I was there, by the senior discount I was awarded at the admissions desk. Me? A senior? You must be mistaken!  Well, that was years ago and I'm long past the denial stage now.  I hope to get back there soon, to my awesome childhood playground. Thanks for your post.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank youfor sharing

Starting at about 5 years  of age, my father took me to Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields and the AMNH, in NYC. It was a place of Awe and Imagination and filled my dreams.  Especially the amphibian with the nostril tusks... It still wanders around in my sub_conscious.

I go back occasionally.  These from a decade ago.

AMNH_MuskOx.JPG

AMNH_Tailclubs.JPG

AMNH_Trex.JPG

AMNH_Triceratops.JPG

AMNH_x.JPG

AMNH_y.JPG

AMNH_z.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"