bthemoose

I bought some shark teeth from South Carolina recently, including the one below. This is a Parotodus benedeni, right? The tooth measures 1.59" slant height.

IMG_8834.thumb.jpeg.4c658c485919135f7c5d25e0cdd85c28.jpegIMG_8831.thumb.jpeg.80fb72b46fc46721d65b4d3dfe7c3193.jpeg

8 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Looks like either Alopias Grandis or a benedini... @MarcoSr could probably help.

Looks like a Parotodus benendeni  to me.  You can compare the posted specimen to the Parotodus benendeni and the Alopias grandis below.

Parotodus benendeni

image.png.960370d295f18de8881822eb3f40a4aa.png

Alopias grandis

image.png.28f31a3250216d99be65276e31e2b16c.png

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I’d lean P. benedeni as well but it be sure I’d like to see how thick it is. They are extremely similar in some positions due to convergence.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

27 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’d lean P. benedeni as well but it be sure I’d like to see how thick it is. They are extremely similar in some positions due to convergence.

Here's a profile view. It's about 0.3 inches thick in the center of the root.

IMG_2250.jpeg.bd5c1d9914d4ee4d63273218a8d24af7.jpeg

2 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Here's a profile view. It's about 0.3 inches thick in the center of the root.

Thinking giant thresher (Alopias grandis) then. Would expect a thicker lingual protuberance in a P. benedeni. But that’s just my opinion.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thinking giant thresher (Alopias grandis) then. Would expect a thicker lingual protuberance in a P. benedeni. But that’s just my opinion.

Do you have any examples of giant threshers with roots like this one? The ones I've seen pictures of online seem to have more compact root lobes.

3 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Do you have any examples of giant threshers with roots like this one? The ones I've seen pictures of online seem to have more compact root lobes.

Some similar examples in my collection, SC as well.

658EDBE6-8134-449F-87F0-2DB0BABBA598.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Seeing the root thickness is definitely causing me to rethink my original id of P. benedeni.  Looking closely at the root features, I see other features that look more like A. grandis.  It is always much harder for me trying to id a tooth from a two dimensional picture versus holding it in my hand and looking at all the features that I need to see to get to an ID.  I would send the pictures to Dr. Bretton Kent and get his opinion.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png