Is fossil insurance a thing ?

Joe_17

I was wondering if anyone here has insurance coverage on their fossils? Especially the more pricey ones? How does one go about getting that?

Hi Joe,

I believe you can get a rider to your homeowner's insurance that will cover this, similar to one you can get if you have a lot of pricey jewelry, a large number of guns, etc.  It is designed to cover home "contents" over and above average items.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

Hi Joe,

I believe you can get a rider to your homeowner's insurance that will cover this, similar to one you can get if you have a lot of pricey jewelry, a large number of guns, etc.  It is designed to cover home "contents" over and above average items.

Thanks!! I will look into it.

My home owner insurance has a separate clause for collectibles, where my fossil collection is included, this is in Canada though 

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Hi Joe,

Yup, but usually not necessary unless the collection or any pieces exceed 10% of the total value of personal property. Check with an insurance agent. Your homeowners'/renters' policy usually covers 10% of your personal property away from home. You may want additional coverage if you frequently take a lot of your valuable stuff "on the road" with you. Again, best bet is to check with an agent.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I tried to buy insurance once when I was displaying my fossils in a library. Unfortunately, the company I asked couldn't insure me as they didn't have adequate knowledge of fossil pricings

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!