Strange Item Found at Galveston, Texas

mthompson

Hi all!

I've always found fossils to be quite interesting but never took the time to really get into them so I'm useless at identifying them. Well, recently I went to Galveston beach and found this item washed up after a storm. It's small (about 2cm across) and feels rather fragile/thin. I've never seen anything like it besides an ammonite but then those are always cast in rock, I believe, and this feels just like a fragile shell that I could probably crush if I accidentally stood on it. This may just be some sort of strange shell, but some googling hasn't led me to anything other than the ammonite. Is this a fossil at all? If so, what type? I appreciate you taking your time to help out a curious mind!

- Mia

image.thumb.jpeg.45461ce82bbecc7615b3f8d139f74b6b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.972c01dc64ff546ad81464359d2dde22.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by mthompson
  • I found this Informative 2

Nice find, even though it's recent. It's not a common find. A strange kind of shell in that the animal lived around it instead of in it. Congrats. Cool critter.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirula

Regards,

Ricardo

Wow, that's really cool, I never even knew that animal existed and it looks to be a perfect match!

4 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice find, even though it's recent. It's not a common find. A strange kind of shell in that the animal lived around it instead of in it. Congrats. Cool critter.

Thank you! :)

• 2 months later...