Juvenile deer humerus?

butchndad

Good morning 

another good day in The Brook.  My best find which I was able to identify was an iPhone 11 which I reunited with it’s owner. Photos below are of a humerus. Most of what I find is deer but this one is substantially smaller. Is it a juvenile deer or something else?   As always, thank you for sharing your expertise

08EC12E0-A6F3-4BB0-9FEC-E0D130BE9270.jpeg

Your find has an entepicondylar foramen.  I can help you eliminate some animals based on this factor, but there are a number which may fit.  Raccoons are abundant, and may have contributed this humerus.

entepiconcloseup.jpg.8113535a35cbab7c444c34c6f903afb9.jpg

A close-up of the entepicondylar foramen of a small, Early Miocene mustelid

This canal occurs near the distal end of the humeri of many taxa. This is the canal traversed by the median nerve and the brachial artery which is called the entepicondylar foramen (EECF). 

An EECF is found neither on the humeri of perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, et al.) nor on the humeri of artiodactyls (deer, antelopes, camels, et al.), nor is it found in lagomorphs (rabbits and such).

The EECF is absent in hyaenids, bears, and canids (including foxes and chihuahuas).

The EECF is present in pampatheres, didelphids (opossums) and in shrews and moles! (Micro-fossil collectors take note.)

The EECF is present in felids, in viverrids (all Old World), in amphicyonids (bear-dogs), and in mustelids (weasels and skunks) and procyonids (raccoons). 

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Your find has an entepicondylar foramen.  I can help you eliminate some animals based on this factor, but there are a number which may fit.  Raccoons are abundant, and may have contributed this humerus.

entepiconcloseup.jpg.8113535a35cbab7c444c34c6f903afb9.jpg

A close-up of the entepicondylar foramen of a small, Early Miocene mustelid

This canal occurs near the distal end of the humeri of many taxa. This is the canal traversed by the median nerve and the brachial artery which is called the entepicondylar foramen (EECF). 

An EECF is found neither on the humeri of perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, et al.) nor on the humeri of artiodactyls (deer, antelopes, camels, et al.), nor is it found in lagomorphs (rabbits and such).

The EECF is absent in hyaenids, bears, and canids (including foxes and chihuahuas).

The EECF is present in pampatheres, didelphids (opossums) and in shrews and moles! (Micro-fossil collectors take note.)

The EECF is present in felids, in viverrids (all Old World), in amphicyonids (bear-dogs), and in mustelids (weasels and skunks) and procyonids (raccoons). 

thank you yet again