Mystery Bridge Ballast yields lots of fossils

markjw

These are mysterious to me...presumably younger than the local Ordovician rock. I don't
know if they are perhaps Devonian. Unfamiliar.

The original source was under the QEW highway in Oakville, Ontario.
I was lucky to discover the same type of rocks used for a promenade in front of some luxury residences. 

There are corals, brachiopods, bivalves, trilobites, and various colony creatures.

Little Freddy the parrotlet advised on photography issues.

5-aMollusc-1.jpg

1-aBrachiopod.jpg

2-aFreddyHelper.jpg

3-aHovercraft.jpg

4-aImpression5.jpg

05-aCurvedCoral7.jpg

07-aFossilCoral7.jpg

06-aFossilColony67.jpg

aFossilColony81.jpg

aaJune-379.jpg

Likely Bois Blanc Fm (L. Devonian). The blue chert of the coral is one of the distinguishing features of the lithology. The brachs, including the Leptaena, are also prominent in Devonian material. The trilobite may be Pseudodechenella sp. Have a skim through this thread where I crack into a lot oF BB material: 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Likely Bois Blanc Fm (L. Devonian). The blue chert of the coral is one of the distinguishing features of the lithology. The brachs, including the Leptaena, are also prominent in Devonian material. The trilobite may be Pseudodechenella sp. Have a skim through this thread where I crack into a lot oF BB material: 

That is one superb review, full of rich info. Thank you for your pointers.

These rocks are often cracked and you can sometimes pull them to pieces, so one gets many surfaces from one rounded stone.

It is very pleasing to have a candidate for the age and formation. Much appreciated.

I'm thinking that your guess of being Devonian in nature is most likely correct. The pictures you've posted look extremely similar to the types of Early Devonian Period materials that I've come to expect from a later dating section of a Silurian-Devonian Brassfield Formation site that's local to me here in SW Ohio.

7 hours ago, GemCityHippie said:

I'm thinking that your guess of being Devonian in nature is most likely correct. The pictures you've posted look extremely similar to the types of Early Devonian Period materials that I've come to expect from a later dating section of a Silurian-Devonian Brassfield Formation site that's local to me here in SW Ohio.

Thanks GCH; good to know.

3 hours ago, Monica said:

I love that Leptaena in particular, Mark - it's probably my favourite brachiopod :wub:

Thank you Monica. I'm not bored of shellfish yet !