Trust geological maps on Android?

Jurassicz1

So i have downloaded some geological maps one that got alot of good feedback is rockd but can i trust any of them? If Not is there any good map that u can just click that shows the bedrocks age and type and if it has fossils?

Rockd is not bad, but for sure it is not very specific. The classification of areas is quite generic, usually representing the most major formation/stratigraphic unit. You need area specific geology or tectonic maps, scale 1:50000 is good, if you can find smaller even better. 

• I found this Informative 2

Rockd is an app that is seemingly fed by actual geologic maps. Your best bet is to find the original source maps and save them as PDFs for viewing on your mobile device. As for which fossils appear in what formation, that requires additional research. Keep in mind that a geologic formation is not usually homogeneous in terms of biota, and that the same formation may have different fauna (or none at all) as you trace it laterally over a long distance.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Also, ... just because it says that the strata is there, it isn't likely to outcrop everywhere in that colored area. 

Waterways and roadcuts are obvious places to look, but research is key to narrowing down where the fossils actually are. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Also, ... just because it says that the strata is there, it isn't likely to outcrop everywhere in that colored area. 

Waterways and roadcuts are obvious places to look, but research is key to narrowing down where the fossils actually are. ;) 

Yeah problem is where i live all got eroded by glaciers i can find fossils from denmark on beaches and the closest locations are 2-3 hours i go there often but its a very long drive but should i still look at roadcuts and waterways?

4 hours ago, Dimitris said:

Rockd is not bad, but for sure it is not very specific. The classification of areas is quite generic, usually representing the most major formation/stratigraphic unit. You need area specific geology or tectonic maps, scale 1:50000 is good, if you can find smaller even better. 

Oh thanks! how do i find that im really bad with maps :) do i buy a book or search online? Does it also show locations like citys and small named areas?

The best geologic maps are often published by a state or national "geological survey".   I would imagine Sweden has just such an organization.  

PS  although I generally find RockD to be reasonably accurate, of all places, it has the geology of my home off by several hundred meters...

59 minutes ago, erose said:

The best geologic maps are often published by a state or national "geological survey".   I would imagine Sweden has just such an organization.  

PS  although I generally find RockD to be reasonably accurate, of all places, it has the geology of my home off by several hundred meters...

Vertically, horizontally or both?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hmmm you are in Sweden. Check for starters the following words on Google translated in local language. 

"Geological map X replace with place of interest". 

Search by province. Search also with locality, as there might be a small town with huge interest. 

You may call some big bookstores to ask for official publication of geological institutions. 

Call at any geology university to see if they are willing to help. 

Every country is different. I am Greek living mostly in Bulgaria. For Greece the online results are very thin. Some are sold in selected bookstores with prices varying 10-35e for just an island or part of province. Terminologies of those maps are also different since we call them tectonic maps and the formations are represented with different names (eg instead of saying Zanglean, it would say Pliocene marine deposits). For Bulgaria I managed to find the whole's country geological map  created by a Russian geology site, strange.. 

If you do not manage to find something, try finding local members, check for a local fossil/mineral club or ask even your ministry. 

On 9/8/2020 at 1:52 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Vertically, horizontally or both?

Horizontally.  And the text has been paraphrased but leaves out important details about where members are found or not.  So I go by the more detailed maps and papers.