Is this glue okay for fossils?

Jurassicz1

I have used this glue a few times before but on one of my finds its came out of the crack can i remove all glue and try again and Will it preserve fossils in the long run?15995748567435080411786086347961.thumb.jpg.06deb98fdc834e394f03e33eeb9d6209.jpg

I prefer cyanoacrylate gel. Takes a little longer to cure and is easier to dose. On the other hand, Liquids are best for penetrating cracks or fractures.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I use both the Liguid and the gel super glue. I use that same glue you have if I want it to wick into small thin cracks or for deep penetration and the gel for joining pieces or large cracks. As cane said acetone will dissolve super glue just wipe off the overage carefully With a rag or q-tip (depending on how much you’re trying to remove) Wet down with acetone so you don’t dissolve the super glue you want to stay and you should be good to go.

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, Randyw said:

I use both the Liguid and the gel super glue. I use that same glue you have if I want it to wick into small thin cracks or for deep penetration and the gel for joining pieces or large cracks. As cane said acetone will dissolve super glue just wipe off the overage carefully With a rag or q-tip (depending on how much you’re trying to remove) Wet down with acetone so you don’t dissolve the super glue you want to stay and you should be good to go.

Oh ok but is this okay for fixing fossils that are in 2 pieces? I tried to find the gel but no stores had it only the one on the picture. I had to glue a crack on some fossils to make it more strong. But i need to wipe it off around as it came out the crack. What kind of acetone should i use or can i use any acetone? And i have one unstable fossil that i glued around the cracks. Should i remove the glue after will it be unstable again? Because i can easily see the glue on the rock 

On 08/09/2020 at 9:02 PM, Randyw said:

I use that same glue you have

Sounds to me like it's suited. In general, most professional fossil preparators work with cyanoacrylate (CA) glues, which is the same as commercially available super glue. Various thicknesses of glues are used for various purposes: thin glues have better penetration and can therefore be used to impregnate/consolidate a fossil, but dry quickly; thicker glues dry more slowly and have less penetration, so are better for mending fossils, where you might either want more time to properly position two pieces before they end up welded together or want to fill broader cracks.

An advantage of CA is that it dissolves in acetone (any will do, but the purer the better, as some supermarket brands apparently cause discolouration; always try a new brand on an unimportant fossil or in an inconspicuous part first!), so that any spills can be easily cleaned up. Don't drench the fossil in acetone unless you want it to come apart again (such as when redoing an incorrect join), though, but use a piece of cotton or textile dipped in acetone instead. Acetone is very volatile, so when using it as described above, you rarely need to worry about subsurface glue or glue in cracks coming undone. You will, however, remove anything from the surface. So if it's surface glue that's keeping a piece together and you start removing that, that would risk the integrity of the fossil.

Another glue I use, which is thicker and dries very slowly, but is therefore rather easy to use, is water-resistant wood glue, specifically the Patex brand. It dries transparent, and can easily be cleaned up by using a knife or toothpick to scrape off excess glue. Because it's so thick, it can also be moulded somewhat, which comes in handy when restoring using stone powder.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

CAs are very good for joining fossil parts.  Just dont use it on the surface.  Anything that seeps out of the crack can be cleaned off with acetone on Q-tips.  Just take care, because acetone will weaken the glue joint if you arent careful.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin