A Few Firsts Along the Calvert Cliffs

Clint08

We were able to get out to visit the Calvert Cliffs area over the weekend and enjoy the nice weather and lower tides. We were able to take the kayaks out, water was a bit choppy on the way out but as time passed the wind calmed down quite a bit for the return trip. After beaching my kayak, within a few feet of it, I found a very small chub (first for me) and in great condition! Within a few more minutes I spotted the small shark vert rolling in the surf and knew it was a good day already. After some more searching, my wife found the biggest of the mako's pictured. We were also able to find three mostly complete Ecphora as well and some other smaller teeth. We didn't think we would beat the chub and mako this trip, but towards the end of our trip walking back to our kayaks I spotted a tiny black speck while surface scanning, I picked it up and had seen similar teeth posted here and in other groups and new exactly what it was. Was super ecstatic to have found my first symphyseal, cow shark upper. One to check off the bucket list for sure. Below are some pics from the day. In the process of getting a macro lens, sorry about the low quality on some of the up close pics.

Also found the black flat bone fragment I wasn't sure what it was, so any insight would be appreciated!

Trip1.jpg

Trip2.jpg

Trip3.jpg

Trip4.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

I remember my cow shark symphyseal from Calvert.... I’d imagine you were super excited!

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great finds! Congrats! :Smiling:

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice.:)

6 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Great finds! Looks like a great hunt!!!

4 hours ago, bthemoose said:

What a great haul. Congrats!

Thank you! Very good hunt indeed!

5 hours ago, HemiHunter said:

Cool teeth!  I really like that little chub....and, of course, nice hemis!

4 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Looks like a great outing!  Awesome teeth.  Even though they are more common, I always like the hemis

Thanks! And yes hemis are always nice to find! I love the colors they can be. 

2 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I remember my cow shark symphyseal from Calvert.... I’d imagine you were super excited!

Very excited! I explained to my wife how rare and the significance of it after I found it, hopefully she understood lol. Was yours an Upper or lower?

9 hours ago, Clint08 said:

Very excited! I explained to my wife how rare and the significance of it after I found it, hopefully she understood lol. Was yours an Upper or lower?

It was actually a lower. Very nice peice, I thought it was a tiger shark at first!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

42 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

It was actually a lower. Very nice peice, I thought it was a tiger shark at first!

That's awesome, they look so cool! I hope to find a lower one day.

• I found this Informative 1