Oligocene Canine Lower Jaws

Roby

This June I went hunting the Oligocene White River formation in Wyoming and found two lower Canine jaws.  I could us a little help in identifying them. I was thing the second one could be a bear dog.  Its a juvenile with new eye teeth starting to erupt but the front of the jaw is missing.

Canine1Jaw.JPG

CanineJaw1Field.jpg

CanineJaw2.JPG

CanineJaw2Field.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

• Roby changed the title to Oligocene Canine Lower Jaws

Amazing prep! Their most likely either bear dog, Hyaenodon or Hysperocyon. This image below should help out with identification :Smiling:

rsos160518f06.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, FossilsandScience said:

Amazing prep! Their most likely either bear dog, Hyaenodon or Hysperocyon. This image below should help out with identification :Smiling:

rsos160518f06.jpg

These tooth portraits are very nice. Thanks for posting them. 

Thanks all.  I currently don't have a good documentation source and searching the Internet has not always proven to be a very good source. 

I think the jaws are from Hyaenoodon.  I think the other specimen is also Hyaenodon but a maxilla piece.

I'll try to get a hold of Fossillarry.

Jess

All the fossil jaws you have pictured are from a small species of Hyeanodon .  The first photo is from a juvenile with deciduous(baby teeth)dp3-4 and permanent m1 in both jaws  with a permanent  incisor jest beginning to erupt.  Second photo is also a juvenile Hyeanodon with the same teeth visible on the right side  except the incisor. 

the third and fourth photos are also a small species of Hyeanodon . the third photo are  right and left adult  maxillae with  canine to m3 on both sides.  The fourth photo is also an adult Hyeanodon with right and left maxillae less well preserved.  Did you collect these fossils  in the Lusk area? I have collected in that part of Wyoming many times.  Your specimen are exceptionally good for illustrating the upper dentition and lower deciduous dentition of this small species of Hyeanodon.  Fantastic finds.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I don't remember the formation they came from I will have to ask the guides.  It was about an hour south of New Castle Wyoming.  Thanks very much in helping me identify these finds.