What are you good at?

Top Trilo

I know for people new to TFF like myself it would be nice to have a place where everyone can say what they're good at. It could be a specific era, location or just be dinosaurs or trilobites. This way people know who to ask if they want an ID for something very specific. I don't know if this already exists but if it doesn't here it is.

I don't have much fossil experience so other members would probably be a better fit but I would say my strength is teeth, shark teeth, dinosaur teeth, mammal teeth, any kind of teeth.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I think that happens somewhat organically as Members with specialized expertise become fairly evident the longer one spends here. ;) 

• I found this Informative 11

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think Kane is correct.

If there is something in particular needing an ID, as long as the title of the topic is clear and concise, it should attract those with interest/knowledge of those types of fossils. 

Vague titles like "What is this?"  or "Is this a Fossil?"  don't draw experts as well as  "Shark tooth needs ID" or "Dinosaur footprint?" would. 

We are usually a pretty modest bunch, and don't generally "profess expertise" with certain fossils. 

By the way, I am good at grilling burgers. :P 

• I found this Informative 11

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Also I think members will give other members heads up if they think they may be able to help with an ID

52 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

grilling burgers.

Tim I am good at eating them :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 9

Bobby brings up a good point. 

Members with more Forum experience tend to tag more knowledgeable members when they see something that falls within a certain members experience set.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Bobby brings up a good point. 

Members with more Forum experience tend to tag more knowledgeable members when they see something that falls within a certain members experience set.

I’ve tagged many a member in my time on the forum when my experience just didn’t qualify for the question. It’s a useful system because then the Taggers can learn something for next time!

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I'd like to think I'm good at fish! But I normally just lurk around here and look around, help where I can and ask alot of questions! 

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Pretty much no matter how good you think you might be at something there is generally someone out there that can do it better. Its a very big world out there and we are all small fish in a very big pond.    

• I found this Informative 3

11 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Pretty much no matter how good you think you might be at something there is generally someone out there that can do it better. Its a very big world out there and we are all small fish in a very big pond.    

Haha... what kind of fish? :blink:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

I don't think a list like that is a good idea.  People will just PM individuals off the list to ID their mystery fossil (or rock).  Anyone on the list will be bombarded with PMs, and everyone else will never see the fossils in question.  The ID forum works well, especially if people use the tags correctly to put in useful information.  Everyone gets to see the fossils and follow the discussion, and offer their own suggestions.  New members can also make their mark, instead of being passed over because they aren't on the list.

Don

• I found this Informative 8

44 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

... we are all small fish in a very big pond.    

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

This could potentially be a long and confusing list. 

Sure there are "experts" in certain general areas like trilobites, dinosaurs, and sharks, but there are also people more knowledgeable in certain geological time periods or even certain types of flora/fauna from those times periods, or formations, or a genus/species from a particular formation.

I guess what I am saying is that we have people knowledgeable in broader categories, but also people very knowledgeable in specific niches, who may not be called upon often, but are a wellspring of information when they are. A comprehensive list to include everyone that may have knowledge in a certain area would get rather long and cumbersome. 

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

i see what you mean. Thank you for clearing it up.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I agree that the idea is good but not practical. The Forum has a way of self-regulating when it comes to special interests.  When I see posts from places I know I often respond. Other stuff I might ignore.  I could waste a lot of time if I went thru every new post.  And YES, please add tags for location and age.