How to remove super thin matrix on the fossil?

Jurassicz1

What kind of fossils are they? Some fossils respond well to a vinegar soak, others are destroyed by it. If the fossils are hearty enough, I’ve had good results with a stiff bristled brush (something like a grout brush works well).

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What kind of fossils are they? Some fossils respond well to a vinegar soak, others are destroyed by it. If the fossils are hearty enough, I’ve had good results with a stiff bristled brush (something like a grout brush works well).

Mostly ordovician limestone. I did try once to soak in vinegar but im not sure if it destroyed because the fossil was under the thin matrix. I can send a Photo of it once im home.

I use board pins and a pin vice on thin matrix. 

Takes a bit of patience but can produce some nice results. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Jurassicz said:

I have alot of fossils with super thin matrix on them. How do i prep it manually? The rocks are limestone.

Pure Limestones? Marly Limestones? Well cemented Limestones? Fine-grained Limestones? Coarse Limestones? Micritic Limestones? What fossils do you speak about? Aragonitic Fossils? Phosphatic fossils? Calcitic fossils? From which strata in Sweden are these fossils?