Hello all! This summer I took my yearly trip to Wyoming, and with my luck I again came back with several extremely incredible fossils! I found many less fish this time around, but I did find several more rare ones! I probably only found around 50 fish in the 3 days I was there. I found  8 Phareodus, including 2 juveniles! I found only 1 Mioplosus this year, the fish seems to be avoiding me sadly... I found 3 Priscacara, including a very large Priscacara serrata! I found an interesting Hypsiprisca preserved beautifully on an algea  layer, also found several more Amia scales, but one of my favorite finds was a giant Amia tooth! (Though I suspect it to be gar) they said it was the largest one they had ever seen, and it is an excellent place holder for a future complete Amia! I also found dozens of shells! The shells especially the snail shells are considered to be one of the rarest components of the fauna, so it was very odd finding over a dozen! Including 4 mass mortality plates which each have dozens of shells on them! I also ended up finding an incrediblely incrediblely rare piece of bamboo, they told me that bamboo is rarer than a dozen stingrays! Speaking of stingrays, I FOUND MY FIRST ONE! A large Heliobatis that I split out almost perfectly! Speaking of rare finds, my absolute favorite find of this trip came as a surprise! Early in the day I found a very strange algea layer with several gastropod beaks, and I was excited as I thought I had found a Crossopholis. After having my heart broken I sulked over to a new pile of rocks and one my first split I found something very strange, a plate of small serrated scales! I did it! I found myself a paddlefish it's disarcticulated, but it still has a fin beautifully preserved! It's hard to describe the feeling of finding a Paddlefish and a Stingray the same day! I will be posting pictures soon! I will also be submitting my stingray whenever the prep work is finished! 

• I found this Informative 7

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Here is my Hypsiprisca!

20200909_105744.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

I don't want to waste anyone's time, so here is my stingray! 

20200909_105755.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Here is my favorite of the Boimphalaria I found! Compared here to a modern species!

20200909_105804.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Here is my favorite shell find of all! It's an extremely large Goniobasis, compared here to a similar species

20200909_105816.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

This is my favorite Diplomystus I've prepped from my finds so far!

20200909_105831.jpg

Here is the "Amia" tooth, I love the feeding wear on it! The tooth is alittle warped, but still complete! 

20200910_105527.jpg

Oh I almost forgot about this little guy! A baby Mioplosus!

20200910_105541.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Here is my cooler Boimphalaria Mass Mortality Plate! I love looking at all the individual shells!

20200910_105601.jpg

Here's my Crossopholis as is, currently getting prepped by my buddy! 

20200910_105513.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Another Boimphalaria 

20200910_105551.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Is this Hypsipriscra genus something new?  I have never heard of it.  Or am I sadly behind the times? 

A stingray AND a paddlefish in one day... that is amazing.   

Nice collection of uncommon/rare species! :wub:

I googled Hypsipriscra  and all that came up are links to your posts on various web sites.  Something is wrong.

Don

5 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I googled Hypsipriscra  and all that came up are links to your posts on various web sites.  Something is wrong.

Don

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

Is this Hypsipriscra genus something new?  I have never heard of it.  Or am I sadly behind the times? 

Hypsiprisca hypsacantha is the name of the fish, it was recently described.

I'll find Lance Grande's publication of it.

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

39 minutes ago, jpc said:

"Hypsiprisca hypsacantha was originally described by Cope as Priscacara hypsacantha. lt is much rarer than either Priscacara serrata or Cockerellites liops. The holotype is AMNH 2453 (fig. 94, top). This species has a maximum known size of 61 millimeters (2.5 inches). There are very few known specimens of this species and only one at the Field Museum (fig. 94, bottom). The second species that remains undescribed (fig. 95) differs from H. hypsacantha in being more slender-bodied and having a more convex posterior tail fin margin (H. hypsacantha has a very slightly forked tail margin). It has a maximum known size of 90 millimeters (3.5 inches), is known mostly from the nearshore quarries, and its formal description will appear in a later publication."

18 minutes ago, piranha said:

Hypsiprisca:

image.thumb.png.9dc644be45a225e3f7cdf44cc9460361.png

Grande, L. 2013. The Lost World of Fossil Lake: Snapshots From Deep Time. University of Chicago Press, 425 pp.

So mine would appear to be the undescribed species correct?

2 minutes ago, piranha said:

I agree! :dinothumb:

Sweet! I thought I didn't have a complete one in my collection, sometimes it's good being wrong!

22 minutes ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

So mine would appear to be the undescribed species correct?

Also a new genus.  Unless, of course, you misspelled it, which would make it impossible to google.

Don

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Also a new genus.  Unless, of course, you misspelled it, which would make it impossible to google.

I did misspell it. Hypsiprisca