Questions about Petrified Wood

Top Trilo

I found all these pieces in arapahoe county Colorado. I’m not sure where I found #2 just in Colorado. I polished a couple of them, 10-16. Is it possible to determine type of wood or approximate age?

8E761193-62BE-4FBE-9F0B-1A6E031066E3.thumb.jpeg.f316684dcfd92b703fada01f5218f295.jpegB4C8A308-6133-4A81-AD82-C04179D32C85.thumb.jpeg.15ade966a0c252dec217e61ce453f570.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

If you have the formation information we can tell the age and possibly the species. If not, it's pretty hard to determine. Those pieces have some nice colors!

PALAEONTOLOGY[online] | Article: Patterns in Palaeontology > Patterns in  Palaeontology: The Real Jurassic Parkimage.png.6843cafc027d64201f271f6b0f5c3ef5.png

It might be the morisson formation seeing as it covers all of colorado, almost. When I use this more zoomed in geologic map it says alluvium 1 (holocene)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

If you know the exact (or general) location you found the wood, download either Mancos or Rock'd and check the formation at the location just to confirm. I don't want to give you false information until we have the confirmed formation!

13 hours ago, FossilsandScience said:

Mancos or Rock'd

Where can I find these?

I downloaded them both on the Apple Store. I'm not sure if they are on Android though. You can also visit rockd.org and click "explore the data" which will bring you to a map. Find your location that you found the wood and then simply click on it and it should show you information. 

• I found this Informative 2

I went to rockd.org and clicked explore the data. This is what came up when I clicked the exact locations of themimage.png.deebeb912eb774a279361802dab81894.png

Cool! As you can see, the age is on the pictures you posted above. I'm not sure about the species of the tree because I can't find much info on it. You have some very awesome chunks of petrified wood! :Smiling:

• I found this Informative 1

to truly ID the wood, you need to cut the wood along three axes, x, y and z, then polish the cuts and compare your specimens to kn own woods from the Dawson Arkose, or other formations close in time.  It is a LT of work, which is why most wood you see is simply IDed as simply petrified wood.  Palm wood, on the other hand has very distinctive cross section... no tree rings.  

• I found this Informative 3

Ok thanks, knowing the age is already a step up from where I was before.