James Savage

Hello everyone

I've been reading the forum for about a year but this is my first post/question.

I found this today that I think might be a mammoth milk/juvenile tooth.  I found it on a Savannah River, GA dredge spoil island that has a mix of Miocene to modern fossils and bones.  Most of what we find is heavily worn and tumbled by the river or dredging.  I saw this and first thought it was just another rock and then something made me hold on to it.  It's heavily worn but it looks pretty much like a tooth I bought off of online.

The first two images are of it by itself.  The last two images are posted next to a Mammoth milk tooth that I bought off of online a year or so ago from Florida (online tooth on the left in the last 2 images and today's tooth on the right for comparison).

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.  Let me know if there are other sides/angles that would be of more help for ID.

Thank you very much for looking.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1018-2.jpg

IMG_1021-2.jpg

By the way, these are my other finds out there today.  Nice 4+" Meg, great whites, makos, a hemi, couple tigers, sand tigers, bulls, lemons, etc. plus tapir, horse, gator and a bunch of other things.  The possible/maybe milk tooth is in the 2nd photo center-left propped up on something that I don't know what it is-next to a small horse tooth.

Thanks again

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

It is difficult to see if you have a worn molar fragment or a pebble.

I think the molar left on the comparison picture is a fragment of a bigger molar.

The molars were worn flat by the mammoth, partly reabsorbed and then spit out, unless the poor animal died off course.

7 hours ago, sjaak said:

It is difficult to see if you have a worn molar fragment or a pebble.

I think the molar left on the comparison picture is a fragment of a bigger molar.

The molars were worn flat by the mammoth, partly reabsorbed and then spit out, unless the poor animal died off course.

This is not a "spit" tooth.  They are heavily used before ejection.

SpitTooth.thumb.jpg.36d5990919b9ebf2a2ad4a781417d25b.jpg

I tried , not very successfully to enhance the photo. It is heavily worn by water erosion, but still I see the Mammoth enamel band.

TFFMammoth.JPG.5a0bf66602ec6da4d95618f292443b59.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks everyone for looking.  What made me curious was the hint of worn enamel bands, lines on all of the sides and apparent shiny black enamel at the few places that had chips.  I tried getting better focus of the potential chewing surface and that was as good as my old Iphone would do.  It looks a little more like enamel bands in person (but if you try hard enough to see something you can see what you want in the clouds).  Thanks again for looking.  I know these are pretty rare so I wanted to let the experts take a look.