ziggycardon

Help! I am looking for fossilhunt spot in Belgium (Easy Access)

ziggycardon

Hi everyone.

I was hoping some of our European members might be able to help me out a little.
I am currently at home due to depression, burn-out and severe anxiety attacks all related due to the COVID-19 situation (I work in a essential store and I belong to the risk groups, so after 6 months the stress finally became too much).
Long story short, I haven’t left the house since march (except for work), the only 4 times I left was because I had to go to the doctor. But now I am at home and I am currently in therapy with a psychologist and the natural next step is to finally venture outside for the first time since march.

So one of the idea’s I had was to go out and pick up fossil hunting again as a way to deal with the anxiety, stress and trauma.
I started in august last year and managed to go on 3 hunts since then.

2 with the fossil club (the hunt to Eben-Emael & to Rumst) and 1 hunt one my own in close proximity to home.

But since I am new to hunting I don’t know that many good spots to start, I have some idea’s but I have no clue where to start.

I already have 1 hunt planned with the club on september 19 to the Devonion of Couvin, but I would like to have been out there again before I go on a group hunt. :) 

So I am looking for good fossil locations in Belgium (Normally the Netherlands of Germany would be fine too, but I am not quite mentally ready to leave my country at the moment), I don’t really care about the age of the fossils, I am interested in pretty much everything. But I am looking for places that are easy to access, places where you can hunt without permission.
I also asked on the dutch forum, but I know there are a lot of Dutch, Belgian, French & German members here as well who might be able to help.

So any locations, suggestions and tips are welcome, if anyone knows some fun places to hunt, I’d love to hear your experiences from there.

Some places I had in mind where:

The Ardennes: I have heart many great things about people hunt in the Ardennes, but I don’t really know where to start and which are good and easy spots to visit. I was thinking to maybe visit Barvaux, as I have heard it is legendary for it’s brachiopods. But any suggestions are welcome or if any one has some experiences of their own in Barvaux or other places in the Ardennes.

Resteigne: This location really sparked my attention as I heard many great things about it. If I read correctly it is a closed quarry that is free to access and which is easy to hunt where some cool Devonian finds can be done. If anyone has been to this quarry I would love to hear your experiences!

Antwerp: I know the Antwerp region is world renowned with fossil lovers all over the world because of it’s richness in Miocene & Pliocene shark teeth. And I know that many people hunt there, but I have no idea where these locations are and if they are free to access?
Is anyone here on the forum active there? And do you recommend going there as a beginning fossil hunter?

And while I don’t know a location to start looking for them, but I am very interested in searching for Carboniferous plant material, preferably in some coal quarry dump site.
I know that we had many coal mines in the past, but I don’t know if there are any dumps left that are accessible. I looking for one that are preferable in Limburg or near Liège as that is quite close to where I live.

The Schneeberg in Aachen: this is the last place I have in mind and while it isn’t located in Belgium, it is located very close to home. This hill lies on the Dutch/German border the Maastrichtian limestone there is part of the same formations that can be found at Eben-Emael, ENCI in Maastricht  and all the other Dutch Limestone quarries that are part of the Maastrichtian type locality.
Since those quarries are one of my main interests, but most are closed, the Schneeberg is quite high on the list. So I was wondering whether anyone has hunted there yet and what are your experiences there.

I know I ask a lot about a lot of very different localities, but I really need to get back out there to help me put my mind at ease.  And I would really appreciate any help and tips and suggestions that I can get. My goal is to trying to visit a different location every week.

Maybe @Manticocerasman@Natalie81, @Indagator, @gigantoraptor & @Joeri_R know some good places to start and have some tips or suggestions? :) 

Thank you all in advance!
Yours sincerely,
Ziggy

gigantoraptor

Hello Ziggy

Sorry to hear about your Covid experiences, I hope fossilhunting will help you through this.

Anyway, I can help you with some of the locations you listed:

Barvaux: Legendary to say the least, by far my favourite Belgian location. Have hunted there for probably close to 100 hours and still not tired of it. The spirifers are amazing and can just be picked up (although sometimes you can find them in situ). Corals, Gastropods... are a bit more rare but not impossible. Only problem with this location is that the well known spots are often regulary visited, but returning empty handed has never happened to me. You can find a trip report by me on this spot on the forum.

Resteigne: Visited it once with a group. We did find lots of coral and some trilo-bits. The rock is very hard, so it isn't the easiest place to search. Preparing is a nightmare for me, so haven't even touched most of my finds from there.

Antwerp: Haven't been there yet, but I start school there next week and I do plan to check out some spots. Will let you know how it went.

Vierves-Sur-Virion. Roadcut, have been there a couple of times and found Devonian plants, Crinoid-bits, trilo-bits, coral... Very fun and easy place to find fossils (pm me for the exact spot) but I haven't been there in over 5 years so I don't know the current situation. Overall this region is pretty good.

Hope this helps and good luck.:)

Kind regards

Thijs

Tidgy's Dad

Can't help with locations, mate, but wishing you all the best.

Chin up, we'll beat this thing! :commiserate:

ziggycardon
5 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Hello Ziggy

Sorry to hear about your Covid experiences, I hope fossilhunting will help you through this.

Anyway, I can help you with some of the locations you listed:

Barvaux: Legendary to say the least, by far my favourite Belgian location. Have hunted there for probably close to 100 hours and still not tired of it. The spirifers are amazing and can just be picked up (although sometimes you can find them in situ). Corals, Gastropods... are a bit more rare but not impossible. Only problem with this location is that the well known spots are often regulary visited, but returning empty handed has never happened to me. You can find a trip report by me on this spot on the forum.

Resteigne: Visited it once with a group. We did find lots of coral and some trilo-bits. The rock is very hard, so it isn't the easiest place to search. Preparing is a nightmare for me, so haven't even touched most of my finds from there.

Antwerp: Haven't been there yet, but I start school there next week and I do plan to check out some spots. Will let you know how it went.

Vierves-Sur-Virion. Roadcut, have been there a couple of times and found Devonian plants, Crinoid-bits, trilo-bits, coral... Very fun and easy place to find fossils (pm me for the exact spot) but I haven't been there in over 5 years so I don't know the current situation. Overall this region is pretty good.

Hope this helps and good luck.:)

Kind regards

Thijs

Thank you for your help, it is very appreciated!

I'll definiatly check out your Barvaux topic and I'll probably plan a visit to Barvaux and to Resteigne in the coming weeks :) 

I think I'll start tomorrow by heading out to visit a first location, the Schneeberg in Aachen.

Thank you very much for the help! 
Yours sincerely, 
Ziggy

45 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't help with locations, mate, but wishing you all the best.

Chin up, we'll beat this thing! :commiserate:

Thank you for the kind words! 
I guess that some fossil hunting will do wonders to find some peace in my head. :) 

And I will definiatly share any brachiopods I might find, here on the forum ;) 

Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, ziggycardon said:

Thank you for the kind words! 
I guess that some fossil hunting will do wonders to find some peace in my head. :) 

And I will definiatly share any brachiopods I might find, here on the forum ;) 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

But good luck.

I've been stuck indoors since March myself except for shopping. I don't even work.

It does get more than just a tad stressful. 

Kane

I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling. :( 

Getting out into nature on a fossil dig should hopefully bring you some much-needed peace and relief. :dinothumb:

This situation shall pass in time, but just know you always have your virtual community here. :) 

ziggycardon
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

But good luck.

I've been stuck indoors since March myself except for shopping. I don't even work.

It does get more than just a tad stressful. 

Yes indeed, it can get very stressfull. These times will leave a serious mark on the mental wellbeing of many I am affraid.
I am hoping that being out in nature, doing what I love, will help :) 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling. :( 

Getting out into nature on a fossil dig should hopefully bring you some much-needed peace and relief. :dinothumb:

This situation shall pass in time, but just know you always have your virtual community here. :) 

Thank you, and yes I believe that going out for fossil hunting will have a very positive effect on my mental wellbeing :) 
I must say this forum has been a rock in these troubling times, while I tried to avoid social media (especially Facebook) as much as the plague. The Fossil Forum was one the only forum that I continued to enjoy, this community truly is the best :) 

I am also glad to be able to share here on the forum all these fossil hunting trips I am planning on doing. And besides that I just ordered some nice bags of microfossil matrix from the Permian, Triassic and Oligocene as well which I look forward to plough through :) 

Manticocerasman
9 hours ago, ziggycardon said:

Maybe @Manticocerasman@Natalie81, @Indagator, @gigantoraptor & @Joeri_R know some good places to start and have some tips or suggestions? :) 

Thank you all in advance!
Yours sincerely,
Ziggy

Hey Ziggy. 
Natalie and I just got back from a field trip to france today. I’ll contact you tomorrow on messenger for advice ;)

cheers

Kevin

ziggycardon
2 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Hey Ziggy. 
Natalie and I just got back from a field trip to france today. I’ll contact you tomorrow on messenger for advice ;)

cheers

Kevin

Thank you, Ii is much appreciated! :) 
Hope you had a good trip!

Indagator
On 12-9-2020 at 10:28 AM, ziggycardon said:

And while I don’t know a location to start looking for them, but I am very interested in searching for Carboniferous plant material, preferably in some coal quarry dump site.
I know that we had many coal mines in the past, but I don’t know if there are any dumps left that are accessible. I looking for one that are preferable in Limburg or near Liège as that is quite close to where I live.

The Schneeberg in Aachen: this is the last place I have in mind and while it isn’t located in Belgium, it is located very close to home. This hill lies on the Dutch/German border the Maastrichtian limestone there is part of the same formations that can be found at Eben-Emael, ENCI in Maastricht  and all the other Dutch Limestone quarries that are part of the Maastrichtian type locality.
Since those quarries are one of my main interests, but most are closed, the Schneeberg is quite high on the list. So I was wondering whether anyone has hunted there yet and what are your experiences there.

Hey Ziggy,

First of all get better soon! About the hunting areas:

I have an extended collection from the Schneeberg. I can help you with that but because it is kind of an grey area due to restrictions overthere by law, I would like to provide more information by pm or by simply showing you the do and don'ts in this area. I don't want you to get in trouble and that the hunting area will be gone due to a simple mistake.

For the carboniferous hunting area's i know one or two places where you can hunt but one i have to check myself again first and the second one you need permission which is usally not an issues but still very much recommended. 

Kind regards,

Arno

ziggycardon
On 13-9-2020 at 11:46 PM, Indagator said:

Hey Ziggy,

First of all get better soon! About the hunting areas:

I have an extended collection from the Schneeberg. I can help you with that but because it is kind of an grey area due to restrictions overthere by law, I would like to provide more information by pm or by simply showing you the do and don'ts in this area. I don't want you to get in trouble and that the hunting area will be gone due to a simple mistake.

For the carboniferous hunting area's i know one or two places where you can hunt but one i have to check myself again first and the second one you need permission which is usally not an issues but still very much recommended. 

Kind regards,

Arno

Thank you very much! 
I've just sended you a PM regarding some information about the Schneeberg. 
I went there for a walk yesterday, but since I didn't know where to look or what was allowed, I didn't really have much courage to search for any fossils yet, other than picking op some loose limestone blocks which lay next to the road.