Hi I'm a newbie here and looking for a small bit of help

Jackoteddy

Today while at the beach with the kids I came across this amongst the stones.

I know that it's a shark tooth but that's all I know as much help as possible would be fantastic to identify it please.

Location Gosport, Hampshire UK

I have a few more pictures if needed.

Many thanks in Advance 

20200912_174309.jpg

Moved to FOSSIL IDENTIFICATION.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

i think it's a Cretodus.

I agree

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Hi I'm a newbie here and looking for a small bit of help

Welcome to the forum! Nice tooth. I'm not convinced it's cretodus. Can we see the other side of the tooth?

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Ok not Cretodus. I'd say Cretolamna appendiculata. The thing that's throwing me off is what looks like a "nutrient groove" which goes down the middle of the root. If it's not Cretolamna, I've no idea. Maybe someone who's more familiar with the region can chime in. It looks like a mix of Cretaceous and more recent formations, so could be a more recent tooth?

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know of a locality called Gosport but I know of a site called Lee-on-the-Solent (or Lee-on-Solent) in Gosport.  I read online that you can no longer collect fossils there.  The teeth found there are Middle Eocene age (roughly 45 million years old).  That tooth looks like an upper tooth (an upper 1st lateral, I think) of Striatolamia macrota.  It appears to be lighter-colored and little more water-worn than some teeth I've seen from Lee-on-Solent but maybe it's from a different spot in the area or it has simply rolled around a bit and seen more sun.  Since these teeth are beach finds, we would expect that of many teeth.  It also appears that the tooth is cracked at the area of the tooth where there would a nutrient groove - hard to say.

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:54 PM, Jackoteddy said:

I know that it's a shark tooth

Oh no!!  Now that you have found one tooth and know they are there, you won't be able to stop yourself from going back and looking for more!! :D

Beautiful tooth for your first find.  Congrats!