bthemoose

I found the tooth below this morning at Douglas Point (Aquia Formation, Paleocene) in Maryland. The cusp is fairly narrow, it's missing one cusplet and the other is small and/or worn down. But between the prominent lingual protuberance and what looks to me like a small bourlette, I'm getting an Otodus obliquus vibe. What do you think?

Otodus.jpg.0b66cfa204b8218fcb1b84cbf34be7cc.jpg

I also found a tiny Cretalamna appendiculata -- just over a quarter of an inch.

5f5d2b38a4b41_OtodusCretalamna.jpg.2ce92a639729a24499f426846f1dd89c.jpg

It looks a little thin for an otodus but that’s just my opinion let’s see what everyone else says.

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Otodus would be my guess... but @MarcoSr can confirm.

It can be very difficult to tell Cretalamna appendiculata teeth from Otodus Obliquus teeth even with pristine specimens.  Both are found in the Aquia Formation of Maryland.  With the size of this tooth it could be either species.  But because of the narrow crown, I think the tooth is a Cretalamna lower tooth.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

6 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

It can be very difficult to tell Cretalamna appendiculata teeth from Otodus Obliquus teeth even with pristine specimens.  Both are found in the Aquia Formation of Maryland.  With the size of this tooth it could be either species.  But because of the narrow crown, I think the tooth is a Cretalamna lower tooth.

Marco Sr.

Great, thanks for weighing in!