An Update on the Status of Fossils on Wheels

fossilsonwheels

It looks as though the entire 2020-2021 school will be on-line in my part of California. The CSU system recently made the decision to go on line only through the spring semester and I am sure the local school districts will do the same. Carter and I have have had many discussions lately about the current COVID related issues and possibly doing on line supportive education. The biggest impact our education programs had was the hands-on aspect and interactions with students that the hands-on experience afforded us. We both feel that we really will not be able to design an on line program that will come close to what we do in person.  Plus teachers, students and parents are all trying hard just to develop the basic aspects of on line education so outside educators would not be a great help right now anyway. Even if there were in person instruction, we would not be in classes for safety reasons which we understand.

We are working on figuring out how the sterilize fossils and how it may work should we get back into classrooms. We have a plan to present our programs in a way that will respect COVID safety standards in the state so the down time is being used to prepare for a possible return.

We will continue on hiatus with no idea when we will resume Fossils on Wheels. It sucks for us but there really is not anything we can do. We still have a lot of shark teeth (probably close to 400) that are ear marked for give aways and we intend on resuming our work at some point but for now, we are still stuck on the sidelines.

As always, we want to thank all of the very supportive TFF members who have helped us and encouraged us so much. I just wanted to offer up an update to let you know where are at. Or not at as the case may be lol

• I found this Informative 7

Thanks for the update. 

I'm very sorry that you've had to stop your wonderful program.

Hopefully, this craziness will end soon, and we can all get back to the usual crazy instead. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I wish you luck in bringing back the program. It is great that people like you are helping bring the younger generation into the hobby, as it is one that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

One option for now might be integrating 3D digital models of fossil shark teeth into your lesson plans. Not quite as cool as being able to hold them in your hands but it might be something anyways. I'm happy to talk with you in more detail about this if it interests you.

So sorry to hear that you have had to stop your program! Hopefully you will be able to come with a COVID friendly option until all this madness is over. Maybe once all the teachers get settled in you will have an easier time of continuing some form of the program.

I wish you all the best! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Sorry to hear that. Your program is a brilliant idea, I bet the kids at schools love it. I know I would have when I was younger. Hope you can get an alternative sorted.

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for the update. 

I'm very sorry that you've had to stop your wonderful program.

Hopefully, this craziness will end soon, and we can all get back to the usual crazy instead. 

I agree. Hopefully the craziness ends for everybody and life will go forward.

4 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I wish you luck in bringing back the program. It is great that people like you are helping bring the younger generation into the hobby, as it is one that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. 

Thank you. We made need some luck getting it going again but we will certainly try when we get the chance.

4 hours ago, jdp said:

One option for now might be integrating 3D digital models of fossil shark teeth into your lesson plans. Not quite as cool as being able to hold them in your hands but it might be something anyways. I'm happy to talk with you in more detail about this if it interests you.

I actually would like to talk to you about that. That could be useful. I will send you a PM tomorrow or Monday. Thank you very much !

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

So sorry to hear that you have had to stop your program! Hopefully you will be able to come with a COVID friendly option until all this madness is over. Maybe once all the teachers get settled in you will have an easier time of continuing some form of the program.

I wish you all the best! 

Thank you. Hopefully we figure something out down the road. We will find a way to contribute at some point.

2 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Sorry to hear that. Your program is a brilliant idea, I bet the kids at schools love it. I know I would have when I was younger. Hope you can get an alternative sorted.

The kids and teachers really loved it. We definitely had a positive impact. Thank you

On 9/12/2020 at 5:33 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

We are working on figuring out how the sterilize fossils and how it may work should we get back into classroom

I bought a portable high power shortwave UV light, something like that would probably work without too much damage to the fossils

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, JBMugu said:

I bought a portable high power shortwave UV light, something like that would probably work without too much damage to the fossils

Fantastic idea Jesse. Thank you