Big Brook: hunting for the elusive Mosasaur

butchndad

After 20 trips to Big Brook I have several hundred shark teeth (but can you really ever have enough?).  I’ve got a fair number of belemnite and oysters. Enchodus, Ratfish, Sawfish, Cow-nosed rays and more. Lately I’ve been into finding modern bone and old bottles

but I only have 2 Mosasaur teeth and I was determined to find more today.  For the first time in a long while I returned to the spot where I found them. Diligently digging and panning for hours but the shark (and amphibious reptile gods) were against me and it was not to be. No MOs, no shark, no nothing!

still a great day in the brook and with a new phone I was finally able to take some photos and share Big Brook with you

Try refreshing the page.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I have been going to Big Brook since 2007, and found my first Mosasaur tooth last fall. So dont feel bad.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Look forward to seeing the photos! If you’re uploading these straight from your phone, you may need to select a smaller image size to stay within the 3.95MB site limit per post (with your newer camera it’s possible even a single photo might be larger than that size). If this is an iPhone, when you select an image from your Photo Library and before you click “Done,” look for a small link at the bottom of the picture select window that says “Choose Image Size” where you can select a smaller image file size. 

I go to BB at least once a week and have yet to find my first mosa. But a bad day fossil hunting is still better than a good day at work! Looking forward to the pics :D

• I found this Informative 1