is this juvenile t rex skeleton real?

Josesaurus rex

Hi, I have now corrected my previous post to avoid breaking the rules.  I saw this recently and it actually seems too good to be true.  I suspect that it may be false, as the stone that contains it does not look very natural in color, although the skeleton looks quite good.  if you could comment on that it would be great.

52A62636-7CD7-4B1C-AEB6-26962680F6EF.jpeg

B9CC20AB-05C4-4274-88E4-2D527FEE9902.jpeg

9E19B5FF-B31C-4144-8DF6-AEF6C362AF48.jpeg

A42BAA10-D0C0-4D38-BF66-E08E84F84A61.jpeg

9E25FCE0-15AB-405C-94DB-AE063F25CB40.jpeg

Some locality would help but as LordTrilobite just said this would be an unbelievably important fossil. While dinosaurs are not my area I find it incredibly hard to believe that if this were genuine it would end up for sale.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with the others. It's just really hard to believe that a discovery this great is not currently undergoing research at a university or museum.

Dinosaur death poses are often recreated to sell although this one is a poor example of one.  Tails usually curve around like the head.

• I found this Informative 8

I believe this is almost certainly inauthentic. It would've been newsworthy based on the sheer unlikeliness as others have noted. 

• I found this Informative 1

I’d stay very far away, as @Troodon has said to me, stay away from anything that has juvenile and T-Rex in the same sentence, besides from that, this does not look authentic to me at all, and would probably be in a museum if it was, also this doesn’t look like the matrix for TRex bones. I’m not sure on the size of juvenile T-Rex’s, but I’d guess over 20 inches. 

Thank you all, really this piece, if it were real, some scientific entity would have already bought it.  It looks good, but only as a replica, not a real fossil.

7 hours ago, Raptor9468 said:

Recuerdo que había un bebé t rex del sitio web X que se estaba vendiendo y los informes de noticias explotaron al respecto.

About this piece or another in particular?  If you have the information, can you please share it?

16 minutes ago, Josesaurus rex said:

About this piece or another in particular?  If you have the information, can you please share it?

What?

2 hours ago, Josesaurus rex said:

It was another specimen I think a year ago. If you search up “juvenile T. rex skeleton sold” or something along those lines you should be able to find articles about it. 

4 hours ago, Paleostoric said:

Creo que fue otro espécimen de hace un año. Si busca “esqueleto de T. rex juvenil vendido” o algo por el estilo, debería poder encontrar artículos al respecto. 

Ok, thanks 

9 hours ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Thank you all, really this piece, if it were real, some scientific entity would have already bought it.  It looks good, but only as a replica, not a real fossil.

This is not the case in most situations in fact. Many museums and samples for study are donated, not sold for profit. Fossils with scientific significance are also often donated so not only scientist who expertise in the field to study such specimens can, but also so normal people like us can observe them in museums and learn. I would agree with everyone else though, this is a poor fake.

Regards, Jackson

Interesting discussion!

4 hours ago, Jackson g said:

this is a poor fake

I would like to learn something:

Poor fake or ok/good replica?

And what and where is the original specimen, if there is one?
Franz Bernhard

simple to understand its fake, nice fake but...if the skeleton is displaying like is dead and recovered by sediments, how that come you are only the half of the bones? where is the rear limbs,the hind limb ? its probably real bones from china , remounted on slab, good job esthetic.

some " artist" create two specimen with one ...

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

20 hours ago, Jackson g said:

De hecho, este no es el caso en la mayoría de las situaciones. Muchos museos y muestras para estudio se donan, no se venden con fines de lucro. Los fósiles con importancia científica también se donan a menudo para que no solo los científicos con experiencia en el campo para estudiar tales especímenes puedan, sino también para que las personas normales como nosotros puedan observarlos en los museos y aprender. Sin embargo, estaría de acuerdo con todos los demás, esto es una mala falsificación.

Saludos, Jackson

oh, it's good that there are still people who donate those discoveries.  But in the same way, there must be people who only seek to profit.  Good information anyway.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 4:42 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Interesting discussion!

Franz Bernhard

I suppose the determination of wether it's a poor fake/ good replica is all dependent on one's perspective, and how its being presented. Typically I tend to think that it's a poor fake in this specific case, when I can go online and find these being sold commercially and labeled as authentic/ real. It's against the rules to post sources of the matter, so I will not. We just had another copy of this pop up recently I believe. I understand and don't object to the sale of fossils, but greed is something I do often look down upon. That's just my two cents though!

-Jackson

If you can afford it, it's fake. A T-Rex specimen like this would sell for at least a million dollars US, probably more.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...

To me there seem to be so many things wrong with this, from the matrix to the obviously posed position the skeleton is in (that is, as mentioned, the idea was to mimic the "traditional" dinosaur death pose - in which decomposing muscles and tendons pull the head and tail towards each other in a curve - but this is poorly executed here). There are bones missing where one would expect to see them, considering the obvious preservation of other bones in the same location, the "specimen" shows only the animal's left side without a trace of the right, and the bones are rather nicely and equally flattened. Overall, the piece gives me the impression of a ceramic replica of a pterosaur I once owned (a gift from my parents as a kid bought in Italy in a shop where I was allowed to pick between either the [supposedly] authentic Psittacosaurus skull and the reproduction pterosaur - stupidly enough, of course I picked the more complete-looking item!).

On 9/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Interesting discussion!

Franz Bernhard

I'd say that seeing the posed nature of the skeleton on the slab, there's not likely to be an original. Quite simply put: I don't believe you'd actually find a dinosaur in this position. The question of fake versus replica, to me, rather depends on how the item is being sold. If the seller tries to market it as a real specimen, it's a poor fake, seeing as one can easily tell this is not a real fossil. However, if it's sold as a replica - which would at least be honest - I doubt I would classify it as okay or good, since it just doesn't look anything like a real fossil would. In my opinion, a good replica would be one that might realistically be passed of as the real deal, and would therefore be a good fake as well.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

This is too perfect and uniform to be real. However, as others have said "baby t-rex" is the biggest red flag. The overall position of the "fossil, and the complete lack of tool marks around the "bones" are evident. The "bones" are of a universal and uniform height across the matrix,another red flag. No sign of the limbs or bones that should at least be partially visible on the other side ogf the animal. There are also what looks to be some air bubbles in the "too uniform to be real" slab cross section. Either the matrix is a real work of art on its own, or the "bones" were separately cast onto a real slab of doctored stone.

However, as an educational or display piece, as fakes go, this one has it's merits. Whoever made it has some serious skills. Id be curious to see this under UV and passive infra-red light.

This piece shouts loud: "FAAAKEEE !!!" for me.

I think the skeleton is a cast (coloured plastic, plaster or whatever) which was glued on some matrix....