Jump to content

Spinosaurus bone?


Still_human

Recommended Posts

I’m gambling that this is a spinosaur bone, as it is supposed to be, but I really don’t know. Can anyone ID what this bone is, and if it’s spinosaurus or not? It’s apparently from Kem Kem. Thanks so much for any, and all help:)

BC8BF9B5-699E-4385-AE80-95446116A5DA.jpeg

2366FFA1-1C18-44E6-B24A-57B9A0749CD3.jpeg

19010CAC-71A7-4010-A6FC-AC0BCA3B8AA1.jpeg

2AB99C45-B64B-429E-9122-D618CC286353.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not sure but lean toward a Croc arm bone.

Ok, cool, so it’s an arm bone? Thanks, that’s a big help. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure it out by comparing to pictures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not sure but lean toward a Croc arm bone.

So far I’ve only found been studying 3 or 4 croc specimens, but they don’t seem to match up well, BUT they seem to be fairly different from each other, from species to species. Some of the spino arms seem to match BETTER than the crocs I’ve seen, but not all....there seems to be some difference between Individual spinosaur skeletons. I guess that’s probably from different individual being put together from different comparable species??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Still_human said:

there seems to be some difference between Individual spinosaur skeletons. I guess that’s probably from different individual being put together from different comparable species??

No arm has been found in the Kem Kem beds. It's all isolated bones. I don't think judgement can be made on individual variation. The best known arms in Spinosaurids, Baryonyx and Suchomimus both look quite similar in any case.

 

 

Anyway. IMO This looks like a spinosaur radius to me. It's quite similar to Baryonyx. Here are the humerus, radius and ulna for Baryonyx.
5f5fca2a1d2a5_36949211500500.thumb.jpg.596f647773bbc9b2c8f7c478b0860683.jpg5f5fca13958fa_36949212500500.thumb.jpg.a6aaee14337d9da746c0b3357be9557a.jpg5f5fca3379812_36949213500500.thumb.jpg.b0b3a048e867884703b0087ce8647ab9.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think its more croc than theropod.

Here are some arm bones of a cretaceous one.

Screenshot_20200914-134315.thumb.jpg.ff4d39e2866a8f639d8f9a1df264adcf.jpg

 

Although no associated Spino arm has been found here is a photo of a composite at the tucson show.  The radus and ulna, shown, are replica bones of known ones.

SpinoHand4.thumb.jpg.850cec0d887f8b175f42701667715a08.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Still think its more croc than theropod.

Here are some arm bones of a cretaceous one.

Screenshot_20200914-134315.thumb.jpg.ff4d39e2866a8f639d8f9a1df264adcf.jpg

 

Although no associated Spino arm has been found here is a photo of a composite at the tucson show.  The radus and ulna, shown, are replica bones of mnoen ones.

SpinoHand4.thumb.jpg.850cec0d887f8b175f42701667715a08.jpg

I dunno, those croc examples look nothing like the other fossil. True, that composite arm doesn't match at all either.

Here's a photo of the 2014 Spinosaurus reconstruction. Of course they didn't find any arms associated with the skeleton. And I think they used some isolated bones as reference. It looks very different from your composite example. But it also kinda differs from Baryonyx.

skelDSCN2350.thumb.JPG.84a0a7de0d523f55c27e611fd0206b0d.JPG

 

It does seem to match Suchomimus pretty closely though. The arm for Suchomimus is also pretty well known.

suchomimus_skeleton_by_eocarchariadinops-d3juq7d.jpg.772ca06b4f9f28e27087147aed2396d8.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I dunno, those croc examples look nothing like the other fossil. True, that composite arm doesn't match at all either.

Here's a photo of the 2014 Spinosaurus reconstruction. Of course they didn't find any arms associated with the skeleton. And I think they used some isolated bones as reference. It looks very different from your composite example. But it also kinda differs from Baryonyx.

 

 

It does seem to match Suchomimus pretty closely though. The arm for Suchomimus is also pretty well known.

 

Yea a bad croc example but I don't agree with Suchomimus still looks more croc to me.  We can agree its an arm bone

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Troodon said:

Yea

Yea a bad croc example but I don't agree with Suchomimus still looks more croc to me.  We can agree its an arm bone

Oh, I meant the 2014 Spinosaurus skeleton matches Suchomimus quite nicely. I agree that the bone Still_human posted does not match Suchomimus.

 

It's also worth noting that part of the wide lat area does seem to have some repair. So it's hard to tell what the exact shape of that area should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This and some other bones were offered to me, and I bought it. I've been doing some initial prepping. And I can confirm that this is a composite. The big flat side is a completely different bone that is white under the thick crust. The main bone is red in colour.

 

So right now I cannot tell what the actual shape is of the flat side is. So I will prep more and likely remove the composited piece. Other than that it does still look like some type of limb bone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

@Giganotosaurus1234

Spinosaurus dorsojuvencus ???  really

Thanks, might be radius,  but I would like a source that is more mainstream and recognized in the paleontological community.  Not one who states he does not have any background in Paleontology.

 

https://petrifiedembryology.wordpress.com/searching-the-lost-species-volume-1-morocco-spinosaurid-spinosaurus-dorsojuvencus/

 

Nizar Ibrahim's current display in the Hong Kong  Science Museum Big 8 skeletons event.  A complete Radius and Ulna clearly visible.

Screenshot_20220807-044956_Chrome.jpg.2a0ff6a0ceb7dff2d9443a8bff800e28.jpg

 

Spinoskel.thumb.JPG.714c977406400b77ed8f4684ad3cdb74.JPG

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...