Where to find slides for microfossils

Misha

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in fossil fishes from the Ordovician- Devonian for quite a while now, and recently I have begun to venture into the field of micropalaeontology a bit more.

This has led me to purchase matrix samples from the Harding sandstone and I am also interested in getting some Maple Mill stuff.

The problem is I currently only have one more vacant slide to use for these fossils, it was sent to me by @Shamalama with some other microfossils but I don't know where I could get more.

The slide has an aluminum case with a piece of thin foam board inside and a glass on top. The foam board has cutout with a grind going from 1 to 64.

I was wondering if anyone else might know where I could get some of these as I have not been successful in tracking them down myself.

Thank you,

Misha

You can do a Google search for Plummer cells or Plummer slides to find people who sell these. They usually sell in lots of 100.

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

You can do a Google search for Plummer cells or Plummer slides to find people who sell these. They usually sell in lots of 100.

Thank you for the info!

I did not know that this is what they were called, I did find some.

I will need to reach out to get the pricing info for them

FYI the age of the Maple Mill material has been questioned on here before. It seems likely it is Early Mississippian rather than Late Devonian.

5 minutes ago, connorp said:

FYI the age of the Maple Mill material has been questioned on here before. It seems likely it is Early Mississippian rather than Late Devonian.

Huh, interesting.

I will have to find something to read about this, either way still cool fossils

5 minutes ago, Misha said:

Huh, interesting.

I will have to find something to read about this, either way still cool fossils

To clarify, the material I assume you are referring to (from a particular auction site) likely comes from overlying Mississippian strata rather than Maples Mill, which is Devonian.

• I found this Informative 1