Is this fossil fish legit?

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone I’m just about to purchase this fossil fish and was wanting advice on its species and if it’s real thanks in advance 

4FBA20BB-280B-4F6F-A27B-A480E3B7D71A.png

It looks like a Knightia to me but the green river formation ones have a sandy matrix and not stone as this one seems to be. Does the seller give a location for the find? The head is also not very well prepped for me either.

I would say it is real as they are just way to common to bother to fake, but there is far better looking ones out there for not much money. If it is silly cheap then its not a bad buy I guess. 

I would wait to see what the proper regulars on the forum have to say though as I could be wrong about the type and if it is in stone and from a rarer place it could be worth a go! But I would definitely try to get the location it is from so others can make more of an educated decision. 

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is this fossil fish legit?

Definitely real.

It's a bit difficult to tell, but I would say it is a Knightia eocaena from the Green River Formation. 

There are a few different layers the fish are found in, and this one is NOT from what they call the Split Fish layer, which is where many retail specimens come from. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Definitely real.

It's a bit difficult to tell, but I would say it is a Knightia eocaena from the Green River Formation. 

There are a few different layers the fish are found in, and this one is NOT from what they call the Split Fish layer, which is where many retail specimens come from. 

So what’s your opinion on the piece if u don’t mind me asking thanks for the reply as well

If it is a Knightia, they come cheaply from the split fish layer and show outstanding anatomy. So personally, I would look elsewhere. 

Mike

Definitely not the greatest example I've ever seen. 

As Mike stated, there are better ones to be found, relatively inexpensively.

Just be aware that some that are sold are painted over, to make them more presentable, when the actual color is lost or doesn't show up. 

Post the ones you are interested here, for analysis, to be sure. 

I would stay away from the really cheap ones, as they are often painted.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This would be better labeled as Clupeidae sp. as it could either be Knightia or Gosiutichthys (I believe it is Gosiutichthys)  This one is definitely from an outcrop, (I have similar fish in my collection) but the rock quality seems to line up more with fish I've seen from Utah. I would recommend purchasing a Knightia from the splitfish layers if you desire quality and size, but if you want something a bit rarer and from a different locality and different species I would go with this one!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

6 minutes ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

This would be better labeled as Clupeidae sp. as it could either be Knightia or Gosiutichthys (I believe it is Gosiutichthys)  This one is definitely from an outcrop, (I have similar fish in my collection) but the rock quality seems to line up more with fish I've seen from Utah. I would recommend purchasing a Knightia from the splitfish layers if you desire quality and size, but if you want something a bit rarer and from a different locality and different species I would go with this one!

Thanks for the insight I have a knightia already but it looks like it was coloured and from a different bed that’s why I was interested in this one it’s not that expensive either only half the price I paid for my last one 

The fish is definitely real.  There is a layer here in Wyoming in the Green River Fm where the preservation is exactly what we are seeing.  I disagree with the others who say you can do better.  There are not many from this layer out there for sale (I don't think) so it might be fun to have one of these.  At the same time, I hope the price is fairly low.