Stan the T. rex put up for auction

Praefectus

I hope I'm not breaking any TFF rules by discussing fossil sales outside the sales forum.

Does anyone know what is happening with Stan the T. rex? It looks like he is being put up for auction. Why did they suddenly decide to sell him? 

https://www.christies.com/features/The-life-of-Stan-a-T-rex-excavated-in-1992-10872-7.aspx?sc_lang=en&PID=en_hp_carousel_1

http___cdn_cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_200916054801-restricted-01-stan-t-rex-auction-scli-intl.thumb.jpg.54e017892d7a35ef633dad8d3ffa7606.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

Does anyone know what is happening with Stan the T. rex? It looks like he is being put up for auction. Why did they suddenly decide to sell him? 

An article in Barrons claimed that it is being sold as part of a settlement agreement. I wonder if it has to do with surface rights vs. mineral rights where Stan was found? @Troodon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/christies-to-offer-t-rex-skeleton-at-october-sale-01600253090

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

An update from some paleontologists on Facebook:

-It looks like Neal Larson is selling Stan, not the Black Hills Institute

-They estimate Stan will sell for $6-8 million

-BHI retains the rights to make casts of Stan 

-The buyer will NOT be able to make casts of Stan

Sorry I can't post the direct quotes. Some of the comments are really opinionated and probably not allowed on the forum. A lot of people fervently believe that Stan should be donated to a museum. :s_confused:

30 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

An update from some paleontologists on Facebook:

-It looks like Neal Larson is selling Stan, not the Black Hills Institute

-They estimate Stan will sell for $6-8 million

-BHI retains the rights to make casts of Stan 

-The buyer will NOT be able to make casts of Stan

Sorry I can't post the direct quotes. Some of the comments are really opinionated and probably not allowed on the forum. A lot of people fervently believe that Stan should be donated to a museum. :s_confused:

Good to know. I can understand why some people would think that. Personally I wish Stan could stay on display at the Black Hills Institute, but it's not my property and unless I happen upon $8 million I have no say in what happens to Stan. 

• I found this Informative 1

• I found this Informative 4

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow.  I dont know any of the behind the scenes details of this, but I'm shocked and sad that BHI is losing Stan.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Yeah, just found out the details behind this.  Sad, very sad.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

An article in Barrons claimed that it is being sold as part of a settlement agreement. I wonder if it has to do with surface rights vs. mineral rights where Stan was found? @Troodon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/christies-to-offer-t-rex-skeleton-at-october-sale-01600253090

Its the settlement agreement in the ownership of the Black Hills Institute between the Larsen brothers.  That split up occurred quite a few years ago.  Stan was removed from the BHI last year.

20 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

BHI can’t catch a break can they? Let them keep their dang rexs 

They do still have the casting rights, so at least we could still see it displayed.

1 minute ago, hadrosauridae said:

They do still have the casting rights, so at least we could still see it displayed.

Casts are cool & all but nothing is quite like the real deal. 

1 hour ago, musicnfossils said:

True, but the majority of fossil skeletons you see on museum displays are casts.

9 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

Agree but LOTS of the museums around the world use the cast of Stans skeleton or just the skull in their displays because they are affordable, look very realistic and more important available .  Hundreds have been placed.   

Here is one 

• I found this Informative 3

I might add the price tag is exorbitant without casting rights. Unless we have a Sue situation where corporations step up to fund museum acquisition, it will probably be private or nothing.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Sounds like an ugly and painful story is behind this.

Don

yes... it is very much so.  Two brothers who were instrumental in making this company work, and who have been driven apart by it as well.  Tragic.  

How much would a cast of this sort generally cost? BHI doesn't seem to publicize that info. I'm not sure if this breaks any forum rules because technically we're discussing the commercial value of replicas as opposed to fossils. 

9 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

How much would a cast of this sort generally cost? BHI doesn't seem to publicize that info. I'm not sure if this breaks any forum rules because technically we're discussing the commercial value of replicas as opposed to fossils. 

I'll PM you a link.