Jurassic Coast ID please...

MrsD

Hi, first time fossil hunter here - so apologies in advance! Currently visiting the Isle of Wight Jurassic Coast and spent the day at the beach and have a couple of interesting finds - just not sure if what I found is actually anything more than just a pretty rock! 

So, this first one is about 11cm in length and had a sort of white slightly porous texture, with yellow brown markings. One marking has the texture of tiny bumps, whilst the other looks like smoother ridges. Can anyone please help?

B31DE0EB-92C2-4921-8BCB-68B551AA03CD.jpeg

91EFF44F-3978-400B-B252-08CDACD552F9.jpeg

7993DF4B-A145-4B5C-9C48-4FDE7F7AC4B0.jpeg

E7010341-AA7F-4611-AC9C-00978803BEA0.jpeg

6E32BE0E-807D-4A82-BE30-6EA05CA8C6F9.jpeg

820BE01E-5843-4792-B470-23B1D045190C.jpeg

B7285AF4-901B-4CA8-8BED-B58BAE49D503.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I think you have a weathered flint nodule in question that reminds me of a possible bivalve, something like a Trigonia maybe, in the core.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I think you have a weathered flint nodule in question that reminds me of a possible bivalve, something like a Trigonia maybe, in the core.

alm-f01rm8.webp

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome and have fun on the IoW, it's a great place. Just to clarify there aren't any Jurassic sedimentary rocks on the Isle of Wight, the rocks are either Cretaceous or more recent. The Jurassic Coast is on the mainland in Dorset and Devon. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Yes, in the photo number 5 and 6 I see also the impression of a bryozoa. It seems, that in the hollow, where the chalky zoarium weathered, little crystals growed up.

Edited by Steffen Langusch