Whats a Good first air pen?

Jurassicz1

So i have always prepped with hand tools. But i really like the air scribes. But theres alot to choose from. Many of my fossils are limestone and sometimes theres a super small layer of matrix on the fossil that if i try to remove will damage the fossil. I have heard about sand blasting is that any good? I would really like one that can prep fragile fossils. I have seen many where they dont even Touch the rock when prepping. I also saw a shop called zoic palaeo tech i think its called. They were selling alot of tools but dont know what to choose anyhelp? I Also see these wooden boxes people use for prep i right now prep on my desk. Should i also get those wooden boxes? And when i prep the fossils now i spray little bit of water to see more details so its easier for me to prep. But i have heard fossils get destroyed while drying fast. I Only use a ikea desk lamp and the sun does not reach in. I know that the sun can really sunburn fossils. Sorry for the long text and questions :)

Have a search on "air abrasion" on this subforum and you will have enough reading for a long time. :D 

With abrasion (what you referred to as sandblasting), having a contained area is important. Those blast boxes ensure that the blast medium -- whether it is baking soda, dolomite, iron powder -- doesn't get everywhere, or in your lungs! Still, even with a blast box, you should hook up a shop vacuum. 

Another thing you'll likely need is a powerful lamp with a lot of lumens. A standard light may not be bright enough for doing precision work. I would also recommend a good microscope so that you can do the precise work that the precision tools are made to do. Some of the best prep is done under the scope!

The air abrader certainly does not touch the fossil like a scribe does. It will take some practice and understanding some principles about blasting at angles, at different pressures, and a lot of patience. 

You will also need an air compressor, and one with a good volume -- the bigger, the better.

You may find that fossil prep is far from a cheap hobby! I know even my modest little lab has about $2,000 in tools and equipment + all the other accessories you may need -- and that is a fraction of the cost some of my professional preparator friends spend. You will eventually need an air filter, too. The costs can mount quickly. In your case, perhaps you might find a friend who already has this sort of equipment to see how you would like it before committing a lot of money to it and find you don't like it. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer