fossilsonwheels

I recently picked up three cow shark teeth with uncertain identifications. I can not be sure myself so I thought I’d get some help sorting this out. 

First one is 19mm and comes from the Pico Formation, Ventura County California. I believe it is Pliocene in age. I think it is a Hexanchus tooth but Notorynchus is known from at least one So Cal formation similar in age according to fossilworks. It is missing the largest cone. Even though I lean 6 Gill, I’m almost hoping somebody thinks 7 Gill because a California 7 Gill would be sweet lol Either way, it’s a really pretty tooth. 

Next are two from the Miocene deposits of Gironde France. Notorynchus and Hexanchus are both described from this location and they are small partials. I really can not figure out if I have two Notorynchus or one of each. I’m rooting for a 6 Gill but a great location to add regardless of the ID. 

All opinions are welcome. 

B63974EE-66B2-4951-8FAF-9DCF0CC75BA4.jpeg

222C2CED-EB6F-4EEB-A517-477318F0FA78.jpeg

FE5F9D3F-F69A-4215-AF05-59F616394C7E.jpeg

60712A3F-6999-42C4-8875-F12DD63C26C6.jpeg

I can’t help, but I love the blue color of the first one!

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

29 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

for the french ones i would lean towards notorhynchus

That is my lean as well.

16 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I can’t help, but I love the blue color of the first one!

It is a really pretty color and a pretty cool location too. Quite happy with it.

51 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

It is a really pretty color and a pretty cool location too. Quite happy with it.

I am jealous, I live in Ventura County and I haven't found anything like that!

1 minute ago, JBMugu said:

I am jealous, I live in Ventura County and I haven't found anything like that!

I got lucky. Happened to be on the auction site when it got listed. I could not hit buy it now fastest enough lol 

The first one is definitely a Notorhynchus lateral, although it's missing the main point. The large root is an indicater. Hexanchus has a more narrow oblong one. The partials are also from Notorhynchus laterals.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The first one is definitely a Notorhynchus lateral, although it's missing the main point. The large root is an indicater. Hexanchus has a more narrow oblong one. The partials are also from Notorhynchus laterals.

I can definitely go with that ID. Thank you

• I found this Informative 1