Tyrannosaur teeth variations

MedicineHat

My son found a long skinny tyrannosaur tooth on South Saskatchewan River, West of Medicine Hat (oldman formation? Formost FM? DPP?)

We've found all sorts of tyrannosaur teeth - short fat ones, short wide narrow ones, long fat ones, long narrow ones (Richadoestia), and all sorts of variations of curves or straight

Species, age, and tooth position may all be factors.

I'm just wondering if anyone has more info?

This tooth is relatively narrow and thin for its length.

I can post other examples of teeth found in the same area that are quite different from one another.

I believe these may be examples of gorgosaurus or daspletosaurus as they were found in the DPP formation

20200916_195727_copy_867x1156.jpg

20200916_195709_copy_867x1156.jpg

20200916_195824.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I can't distinguish between tyrannosaur teeth but someone else might. That's a cool tooth though, it looks like from the pictures it has nice serrations. Also is albertosaurus found their, its often compared to the two tyrannosaurs you listed.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The base is peanut shaped on this tooth but many tyrannosaur teeth are oval at the basal cross section...anybody know why?

20200918_080500_copy_768x1024.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Another example of a similar tooth. Relatively long, even for a dentary tooth. It was found on a. Sask. River valley west of medicine hat

20200804_205004_copy_648x1152.jpg

50 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

Another example of a similar tooth. Relatively long, even for a dentary tooth. It was found on a. Sask. River valley west of medicine hat

20200804_205004_copy_648x1152.jpg

Sure it's a T-Rex ?

On 9/18/2020 at 11:45 AM, MedicineHat said:

No. Not tyrannosaurus rex. Probably gorgo or daspletosaurus 

Is there any enamel wrinkles?  And what’s the serration count on both sides over 2mm?

31 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Is there any enamel wrinkles?  And what’s the serration count on both sides over 2mm?

See above answer

34 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

20200919_110010_copy_867x1156.jpg

If it is from the DPF then it’s most likely Gorgosaurus as the tool has a DSDI in the range of Gorgosaurus and the wrinkles don’t seem to match that of some Daspletosaurus teeth.  BTW amazing tooth!!

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

If it is from the DPF then it’s most likely Gorgosaurus as the tool has a DSDI in the range of Gorgosaurus and the wrinkles don’t seem to match that of some Daspletosaurus teeth.  BTW amazing tooth!!

My son found this tooth in redcliff alberta 10 minutes from our house. Very cool. The formation is oldman I think.

28 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

My son found this tooth in redcliff alberta 10 minutes from our house. Very cool. The formation is oldman I think.

Awesome!!  If it’s Oldman then it’s Gorgosaurus still, nice to see you back on the forum!