Nigerien fossil id

Chris384

Hello all, I have some fossils that I highly suspect came from the Agadez region of Niger. I am trying to ID them. I am new to the forum and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 4 bones in total. I have taken pictures of all six sides. I am trying to figure out how to post the pictures. It will only allow me to do 3.9 m which is one picture approximately.

IMG_20200914_204728.jpg

Edited by Chris384
Photos resized
  • I found this Informative 1

That's a large bone! I'm not sure what it is but more photos would probably help, If you have an iphone you can click a size button and then if you change the size it will let you put more in. Also is it measured in centimeters or inches?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

It is measured in inches, I have an Android device and I am trying to resize the rest of the pics. I have 2 vertibret and part of a shoulder I think.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Nigerian fossil id

@Troodon @LordTrilobite

I have been speaking with this individual. He has a very respectable career, and happened across these, through means not to be disclosed at this time from a potential construction company which leaves me to believe it is near the Tiourarén formation. The material I have looked over so far would seem to be partial scapula and humerus along with 2 caudal vertebrae, all from a sauropod. I was speaking with @Chris384 earlier and was struggling with the uploads being 3.9mb but has taken good time and effort to measure and photograph the 6 key angles. 

I spent time in Niger way back when and I have always un-enjoyed the adjective Nigerian for things from this country.  "Nigerian" is to describe things form Nigeria.  In French we said Nigerien, but I have since advocated that English should adopt the term "Nigeri", where the g is pronounced like a zh.

Having stepped off of my soapbox, I can only say it is the end of a limb bone.  

EDit:  Did the title of this post get changed?  I could have sworn I read it with an a in the national adjective.  And now it has an e.

• I found this Informative 2

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Nigerien fossil id
39 minutes ago, jpc said:

EDit:  Did the title of this post get changed?  I could have sworn I read it with an a in the national adjective.  And now it has an e.

You need new glasses. No really. I like your editing skills. I noticed the problem a couple of hours ago. Now we know what the Niger demonym is. I learned something today.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yes I know Nigerian was not what I typed it was autocorrected to such. I posted again with the correct title. I am new to this forum so pardon my mistake. I have attached some more pictures. Thank you all for your input.

PSX_20200918_104004.jpg

PSX_20200918_103925.jpg

PSX_20200918_103825.jpg

PSX_20200918_103355.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

@Troodon @LordTrilobite

@hxmendoza

I feel someone should be able to help here this is not a usual single picture of a random piece of bone, and this gentleman has spent a good deal of time and money ensuring these fossils can be made into a institution where they can be studied.

On 9/19/2020 at 5:26 AM, Chris384 said:

Yes I know Nigerian was not what I typed it was autocorrected to such. I posted again with the correct title. I am new to this forum so pardon my mistake. I have attached some more pictures. Thank you all for your input.

PSX_20200918_104004.jpg

Hard to tell what the shape of this exactly is since the whole fossils isn't visible.

PSX_20200918_103925.jpg

This is clearly a vertebra centrum. It might be a bit squished. I'm thinking caudal vertebra.

PSX_20200918_103825.jpg

Again a vertebra centrum. Also pretty squished. Might be dorsal or caudal.

PSX_20200918_103355.jpg

A type of limb bone. Also looks to be squished. I think the distal end of a tibia is most likely since it would likely still be fairly flat even without the crushing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

My first impression is that some of this material is Sauropod but its incomplete nature and the lack of publications makes identification pretty difficult