Fossils in own backyard!

FossilizedJello

So, I was bored one day and decided to head into my woods behind my house. It is an area named possibly after the squaw Indians. I obviously have ventured into my backyard woods many times and have found unusual things. I have been metal detecting and other things. So on this day I was looking for rocks to bust open or just anything cool. All in this day I found everything in the pictures, a rock with really rough garnet, and a 1900s bottle dump. What a weird day, I didnt know this area had so much history. I assume a glacial process carved out the valley as it is shaped like a V with the tips of the top of the V being the backyards of peoples houses. So I found this rock and bust it open after seeing shell imprints. Boom, brachiopods galore. I just think its really cool how you never know where a fossil may be hiding. I have many other chunks of this fossil aswell. I have not found much else other then the other quartz rock I believe to be coral that I'm waiting to have ID'd currently. I did find another rock that was like a sandstone possibly that also had shells and brachs but it was smaller and not as nice. I have misplaced it at the moment so no pic.

For reference on where these were found check this Squaw Brook Rd, North Haledon, New Jersey. I wouldnt come looking for fossils as this is the only one I have found after hours of searching.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Excellent Find!  I love Backyard Fossils. I've found a few in the cry crick behind my house. Far and few between, but that's okay! Still fun to find.

Cry crick is the name? And yes nothing like having a nice fossil to display you found on the property haha.