Funk.Missle

Hey Fossil Gang,

I had a surprising find along Canon River in Northfield Minnesota (coordinates 44.461901, -93.158759). I was skatingboarding and noticed that the banks of the river were pretty rocky so I thought it would be worth investigating, sure enough I found what appeared to be some sort of bone attached to a piece of rock protruding about half way out of the sandy soil. To me it looks like some sort of mammal jaw although I'm not sure (new to fossil hunting). I'm not sure but it seems to be more modern. If any of y'all have any input it would be greatly appreciated! :ammonite01:

IMG_20200918_174307_2.jpg

IMG_20200918_174346_2.jpg

IMG_20200918_174444_2.jpg

IMG_20200918_174533_2.jpg

I don't think its a jaw because I don't see tooth sockets, as far as shoulder bone, Im not sure. Some close up pictures might help tell if it is bone..

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 minute ago, Top Trilo said:

I don't think its a jaw because I don't see tooth sockets, as far as shoulder bone, Im not sure. Some close up pictures might help tell if it is bone..

where should I do the close up? any suggestions? 

I would say on the side of your first picture and then the craters on your second picture.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looks kind of like foam rubber that has been partially melted. Not seeing any bone.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

48 minutes ago, darrow said:

Looks like an old piece of polyurethane foam either spray insulation of the injected variety used with concrete 

1 hour ago, erose said:

Weird. Possibly an odd chunk of slag. The broken “bubbly” edges look like smelter slag. Overall shape is just odd. Weird.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Looks kind of like foam rubber that has been partially melted. Not seeing any bone.

Oh man that's a bit of a bummer I got exciting thinking it was something cool ~ I'll be able to post close ups in an hour or two just to be sure. The shape is what kind of led me to believe it was something of interest. 

17 minutes ago, Funk.Missle said:

Oh man that's a bit of a bummer I got exciting thinking it was something cool ~ I'll be able to post close ups in an hour or two just to be sure. The shape is what kind of led me to believe it was something of interest. 

It was definitely worthy of investigation.  Hang onto it and maybe someone else will recognize it for something else we can't see now.