Can you tell what jaw a tooth was on?

Top Trilo

I was wondering if it was possible to determine if you could tell if a tooth came from the top or bottom jaw? If you can is this true for all kinds of animals. I bet you could on a tiger shark because the bottom and top face different directions. Could you tell on a megalodon tooth or a tyrannosaur tooth or any dinosaur tooth for that matter. I don't have any teeth that I need to determine, just a question that popped in my head.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

@Troodon could on dinosaur teeth, but f

most people couldn’t, as for megalodon teeth, yes, you can tell whether a tooth is top, bottom, posterior, I can’t really tell more than that, but that is good enough for me, and unless you were planning on making a jaw and wanted every tooth anatomically correct, it doesn’t matter to much(I may be making an assumption, but that’s how I feel, at least)

Thanks, I was just wondering

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Yes some species of shark teeth can be distinguished between upper and lowers.  Typically you can distinguish between upper and lower of most Tyrannosaurid teeth the exception being Nanotyrannus 

Yeah, megs, makos, cows and hemis you can distinguish what place in the mouth they came from.

It depends on the taxon, there are no universal rules. Some species have just monognathic heterodonty (different teeth within one jaw) some also have dignathic (between two jaws). For example, Carcharhinid sharks have thin elongated and sometimes unserrated cusps on lower teeth while upper teeth are broader and curved distally.

Extant Carcharhinus obscurus (Dusky Shark) jaw - General Fossil Discussion  - The Fossil Forum

Hexanchids also have a clear dignathic heterodonty

Bluntnose Sixgill Shark – "OCEAN TREASURES" Memorial Library

For some reptilian taxa it could be useful to look at the feeding wear. Many, for example sauropods, have a slight overbite, so feeding wear would be on the lingual side on upper teeth and on the labial side on lower teeth. Although it varies a lot based on dentition and might not be applicable to all sauropsid groups.

So this would be an upper tooth of Rebbachisaurus (feeding wear on the flatter lingual side)

1.4" Rebbachisaurus Tooth - Sauropod Dinosaur

Upper tooth of a Kem Kem Titanosauriform

rebbachisaurus-garasbae.jpg

And a lower tooth of Rebbachisaurus (feeding wear on the convex labial side)

rebbachisaurus-garasbae.jpg

Lower tooth of a Kem Kem Titanosauriform

22243 - Top Quality 2.07 Inch Rebbachisaurus Diplodocoid Sauropod Dinosaur Tooth

Hadrosaurs also can be distinguished based on feeding wear but they also have different upper/lower morphologies

Maxilla: more laterally compressed teeth with a more pronounced central ridge

7.7" Hadrosaur (Gryposaurus) Maxilla With Stand - Killer Specimen! For Sale  (#113075) - FossilEra.com

Dentary: wider, more diamond shaped teeth

Dinosaur had more complex grinding teeth than horses - experts - News -  Horsetalk.co.nz

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

Hi,

About shark jaws, have a look on my signature ;) -> heterodonty.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg