Fossil preparation with air scribe

Fadiasforest

Hi I recently purchased an air scribe, it's late, I can't remember the kind right now however it's highly recommended by you folks on this site, off brand but good. Anyways it makes a really high pitch whining sound like air escaping from a balloon  and Air comes out around the rubber gasket by the tip. I don't know what it's supposed to sound like, or how  it preforms to be able to troubleshoot further. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Fadiasforest
Sentence sounded weird

Yeah, that's a regular scribe.  You're going to need to read up on how to use that and get a feel for it.  A scribe works great when chipping away from a fossil at a distance where the vibration isn't impacting the fossil which is almost always more brittle than the matrix.  Scribes need to be oiled regularly.  You will know it probably needs to be oiled when it still makes the noise but the tip isn't working.  You want to be careful where you rest the scribe so it doesn't fall on a hard surface and break the tip because it's a lot cheaper to be careful than replacing tips every week.  Also, practice on a piece of matrix first before you work on a fossil you want to keep.  There are probably more detailed tips by people with more experience in the Fossil Preparation category.

For fine work, I like that Micro-Jack I used.  I used to help a friend with his fossil prep.  That thing was great.

Good luck.  Scribes are great tools for prep when you get used to using one.

• I found this Informative 1

Youve got a great scribe.  As was already said. its supposed to sound like that.  If it begins getting fussy and wanting to stop (or not start) then you need to clean it and oil it.  They arent complicated, so dont be worried about opening it up.  The front barrel just unscrews from the rear body.  Clean it with some alcohol and Q-tips, dry, then lightly oil with "3 in 1" machine oil, re-assemble, then run it with the tip in a rag or paper towel for a minute until it stops spitting excess oil.  

When you use it, remember, less is more.  Dont jamb it into the matrix, just lightly touch and let the tool do the work.  If you can hear the pitch of the tool changing, then youre pressing too hard. 

Have some super thin super-glue (like paleo bond, but there are others as well) on hand because scribes WILL expose breaks you couldnt see, so be ready for repairs.

• I found this Informative 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin