Iguanodon vert?

FF7_Yuffie

Wondering what people think of this? Being sold as Iguanodon vertebra from Hastings Bed formation.

16 x 12 x 8

It doesn't resemble other iguanodon verts I've seen for sale, so I'm wondering if might be a partial/just the top part of a vertebra, or another type of bone?

Thanks for the help

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Very interesting looking sample. I'm in agreement with you that it's very unlike any of the typical Iguanodontidea dorsal vertebrae I've seen. To my very inexperienced eye, it looks somewhat like a caudal vertebra, but I'll be interested to see what people with more experience in ornithischian fossils say :)

Just wanted to add that I believe this might actually be from what was called the Hastings Group and is now called the Wealden Group, possibly from the Weald Clay Formation. I know it's not a massive help, but I know that Iguanodons have been found within the Weald Clay Formation.

Good luck with your identification!

Edited by marumo
Spelling mistake, sorry!

13 minutes ago, marumo said:

Very interesting looking sample. I'm in agreement with you that it's very unlike any of the typical Iguanodontidea dorsal vertebrae I've seen. To my very inexperienced eye, it looks somewhat like a caudal vertebra, but I'll be interested to see what people with more experience in ornithischian fossils say :)

Just wanted to add that I believe this might actually be from what was called the Hastings Group and is now called the Wealden Group, possibly from the Weald Clay Formation. I know it's not a massive help, but I know that Iguanodons have been found within the Weald Clay Formation.

Good luck with your identification!

Thanks for help. The county it was found was Sussex, if that helps more  with the formation.

Advanced issue found

4 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Thanks for help. The county it was found was Sussex, if that helps more  with the formation.

Sussex would provide further evidence that with was a Weald Clay formation find.

Several Iguanodontidae taxa have been found in this formation including Iguanodon bernissartensis and Mantellisaurus atherfieldensis. So this could be material from Iguanodontidae, though it might be more difficult to prove that it's from an Iguanodon species specifically.

However, after more examination of the sample, I'm becoming increasingly less convinced that I can actually make out a vertebra. What I originally assumed was the body and facet look too small and have the wrong morphology. Hopefully someone with better paleobiology will be able to help soon :)

Thanks for taking a look. It's a strange one.

Seller has removed the listing now, though. So I can't get in touch for more. Maybe it'll be relisted.

It’s part of the process from an iguanodon vert ie the top part of the vert. It’s not the centrum of the vert.

• I found this Informative 3

17 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

It’s part of the process from an iguanodon vert ie the top part of the vert. It’s not the centrum of the vert.

Thanks for taking a look. Cheers

I agree with Welsh Wizard. It's definitely the top of a vert, the neural arch.
And it does seem to fit Iguanodontid. Looks like an anterior dorsal vertebra due to the angles and proportions. So just behind the neck.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I agree with Welsh Wizard. It's definitely the top of a vert, the neural arch.
And it does seem to fit Iguanodontid. Looks like an anterior dorsal vertebra due to the angles and proportions. So just behind the neck.

Awesome.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Bizar! This whole structure seems so solid. That's far from the single neural spine atop an neural arch I would've expected, after having seen the Brussels' iguanodon specimens. But apparently this material indeed seems referable to iguanodontids, as per "Dinosaurs of the British Isles" - I've referenced some images below (the blue coloured images are of specimens from Bernissart on exhibit at the Koninklijk Belgisch Instituut voor Natuurwetenschappen).

5f8973f992bf9_DinosaursoftheBritishIslesfig_330.thumb.jpg.cc1f07d1cf9db15a132371e493ebbad2.jpg5f8973fb65cca_DinosaursoftheBritishIslesp_319.thumb.jpg.b8f83d4e52790b52510f250380484590.jpg

5f8977017d3ca_IguanodonsBrussels01.thumb.jpg.25b17c6bf3c49cdebf892957a571420c.jpg5f89770387407_IguanodonsBrussels02.thumb.jpg.abf99119ec7d3e7c67fbda95338bfa85.jpg5f8977055a335_IguanodonsBrussels03.thumb.jpg.36c0de1142d8a3a3b64a19d7648704e4.jpg5f8977075937b_IguanodonsBrussels04.thumb.jpg.c5e82fd2d8a66aae8030c8a21be3dcd4.jpg

5f89770941d78_IguanodonsBrussels.thumb.jpg.5e7a8006c3ebe9528df79b703735313c.jpg

Iguanodon_de_Bernissart_IRSNB_01.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett