minnbuckeye

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of hunting with @GeschWhat and her daughter. We examined the Eau Claire Formation of the Cambrian in western Wisconsin. Lori had little interest in the trilobites that frequent this formation. She kept busy examining the matrix for trace fossils and other goodies it may reveal. She left the trilobites for her daughter. A large slab had broken free from the cliff during the winter and Lori discovered an interesting pattern on the surface. We worked on extracting a substantial chunk for her and in the process found a deeper layer of trilo-bits. I am a hash plate fanatic. So after she was done with the slab, I extracted a large sample containing the trilobites. Here is a corner of the hash plate:

DSC_1047-001.JPG.6907018e7db8a302775ea7ba77528986.JPG

So the contest is a mindless one!!!!!! My kind of event. The person that guesses the number of trilobite cephalons and pygidiums on the hash plate is the winner!! The count was made using identifiable bits. Three counts were made and then averaged. One guess a day until a winner is found. At that point, I will share the hash plate with you and mail a smaller version to the winner. (Unfortunately postage out of the US can be spendy, so I will pay $20.00 if those overseas would like to participate). Good Luck! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

Way more 102

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Oh, goody, a county game. 

Tidgy can manage to count to two or three but I can get as far as twenty or so. 

So it's just going to be guesswork.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Im not gunna guess but will say this, offering to pay $20 out of your own pocket so international folks can play makes you a really good guy in my book.    Ok, I will guess.  3,756,233.5 :)

RB

Hmmmm I am overseas and willing to spend your money for you! :BigSmile: A quick count of the pic you posted could be anywhere from 23 to 40 and seeing as identifying identifiable bits is way beyond my trilobite id skills I worked off bits I could identify that maybe weren't rock!

Its a corner so say 30 on each corner, so that is 120 then how much is left uncounted in the middleybit?! another 36 of them that is how many! 

So after all that precise working out I will guess ( I say guess, how could such working out be wrong?!) that there is 156 bits that a far more educated eye can identify!

Are we talking the whole big one? Did you really count them all? Since I know how large the plate is, I will refrain. I will say, you all really need to bump up your estimates. I must say, I was a little disheartened after finding out I lugged mostly geologic formations down the hill. Turns out what I had hoped were trace fossils above the trilo layer were syneresis cracks. At least I got a workout. Thanks for the fun, Mike!

DSC02980 (2).JPG

DSC02982 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 4