Agatized Coral? Nut? Seed?

Zenmaster6

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Someone good with septal insertion patterns should be able it pin it down well.

And just who might that be? 

(can we tag them?):Jumping:

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

A volunteer to tag will do just fine. :)

Hey, youre about to hit 3000!

Congrats on being here so long! :yay-smiley-1:

Well, I'll go one closer and speculate that this is on the upper side of the Permian, making it a scleractinian coral.

It sometimes help in getting the natives restless. (especially if it's wrong ;))

• I found this Informative 2

Also, maybe photos with your piece dry would help.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Merci ma chère amie pour la invitation.

It is indeed a coral, but rather worn out to be able to say anything.

BTW, Scleractinian-like corals were occasionally indicated in the Paleozoic (papers by Scrutton and Ezaki). We know that scleractinian corals evolved from anemones, but with success finally in the mid Triassic.

• I found this Informative 3

4 minutes ago, HansTheLoser said:

Merci ma chère amie pour la invitation.

It is indeed a coral, but rather worn out to be able to say anything.

BTW, Scleractinian-like corals were occasionally indicated in the Paleozoic (papers by Scrutton and Ezaki). We know that scleractinian corals evolved from anemones, but with success finally in the mid Triassic.

Je t'en prie.:)

I've learned tonight that scleractinians evolved from anemones.

We learn everyday on that wonderful forum.

In memory of Doren

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Well, I'll go one closer and speculate that this is on the upper side of the Permian, making it a scleractinian coral.

It sometimes help in getting the natives restless. (especially if it's wrong ;))

I volunteer.
Perhaps he will look at the geological chart of the landscaping bed to see if we can get any information about the specimen's stratigraphy from there. This would certainly help us. Thus we would not have to speculate and the natives would be calm. :cool07:

You make me envy. To catch corals I have to go into a ravine and you collect them in the garden.

• I found this Informative 3

Hi Oyo, thank you for your help.

In memory of Doren

2 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi Oyo, thank you for your help.

Hi, not at all.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Is that possibly a worm tube obscuring the center as shown in the last photo ?

Yes, there is something there but I don't know what it´s.

He could try to remove it by sanding that area until whatever is there is gone. Surely, it seems to be well preserved, it would show the central area of the coral.

1 hour ago, oyo said:

He could try to remove it by sanding that area until whatever is there is gone. Surely, it seems to be well preserved, it would show the central area of the coral.

Who cares what kind of coral it is ? What is the other thing ?

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Who cares what kind of coral it is ? What is the other thing ?

Who cares what the other thing it is?. Personally it seems to me that it is just a piece of stuff stuck to a coral, I hadn't even noticed it. But keep in mind that nobody´s perfect, neither am I.

I´m aware that almost no one is interested in corals, just a select group of people who are on another level. Make no mistake, I did not say higher level I said another level. Unspecific.:cool07:

• I found this Informative 2

@Rockwood @oyo @fifbrindacier @HansTheLoser

Hopefully this helps. In real life the tube in the center looks very well preserved.

I am finding loads of petrified wood so its gotta be somewhat near shore. cant be pre triassic. I wanna say cretaceous as the majority of sediment in Texas seems to be cretaceous. I live in Corpus Christi *pleistocene wash*  though, which is why I find landscaping rocks. 

20200922_083141.jpg

20200922_083211.jpg

20200922_083216.jpg

I have to change my opinion. I now think the tube is actually remnant of dissepiment in a rugose horn coral. The indication also being that it was bilateral (to the degree that is typical).

On 21/9/2020 at 10:22 AM, Rockwood said:

Diversity of interest is a wonderful thing. :thumbsu:

Diversity of opinion also is a wonderful thing.

The specimen may be somewhat older than Pleistocene but less than what Mr Rockwood proposes. Scleractinia for me.
One question to the owner: height of the specimen and diameter of the chalice?, in mms. please. I apologize for not being familiar with the size of the coins.

I agree, the coins are not at all a good scale. Centimeters or inches are better. 1inch = 2.5 cm.

The fingers of our friend give us an approximative idea of its size, but for the determination of a coral a precise measurement is needed.

In memory of Doren