2 and 3 bucket listers

grg1109

I went to a new site on Thursday...brought home some fossil rocks.  To my surprise when I got home I had a fossil from my bucket list. A  Mucrospirifer mucronatus!  I asked for other Id's on the fossil forum and one of them was a part of a Thorax from a Trilobite.  So Friday, I went back and took the whole rock that I had been working on.  Today, Saturday...I began working on that rock.  Low and behold...I found a second Trilobite.  Not the same species as the first.  Although it's a bit broken...I do have all the parts, including the eyes!  I'm so excited!  I think it's a Psudodechehenella rowi.  Approx. 1 3/4".

Thanks

Greg

Mucrospirifer mucronatus 2.jpg

head shot.jpg

top (3).jpg

other top.jpg

eye.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

3 hours ago, Misha said:

Definetley not pseudodechenella, looks to me like greenops 

Not sure about species, boothi?

I'm not positive...but in looking at the rear I can see spikes.  As far as another that is similar...this one does seem narrow rather than round.

Greg

1 hour ago, grg1109 said:

I got a positive Id on this today, a rare Greenops/Bellacartrightia.

Greg

If I'm not mistaken Bellacartwrightia is an entirely separate genus and is less common than greenops. Yours appears to be greenops sp as stated above

5 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

If I'm not mistaken Bellacartwrightia is an entirely separate genus and is less common than greenops. Yours appears to be greenops sp as stated above

They are different genera but look very similar, I believe you can tell them apart by the pygidial spines but I would not be able to do so. I don't know what other morphological differences there are. Bellacartwrightia is much rarer as you said and these are definitely a safe bet for Greenops.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Misha said:

They are different genera but look very similar, I believe you can tell them apart by the pygidial spines but I would not be able to do so. I don't know what other morphological differences there are. Bellacartwrightia is much rarer as you said and these are definitely a safe bet for Greenops.

From what I can tell Bellacartwrightia appears to have longer and sharper spines. 

Greenops:20200921_155650.jpg.0da23d4065a8bce9829c406b5c9f1b3b.jpg

Bellacartwrightia:20200921_155628.jpg.f64d5aa5f37aec9b54d9c018c35754d4.jpg

Congratulations!  Isn't it great to find fossils that you were hoping to find? :)

Nice brachiopod and trilobites! :thumbsu:

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Congratulations!  Isn't it great to find fossils that you were hoping to find?

Yes! it is!

Greg

bellacartwrightia spines 1.jpg

bellacartwrightia spines.jpg

In reference to the two pieces that fit on the top and sides...the fossilized exoskeleton is black on the side facing the fossil.  Will it also be black on the stone (opposite) side?

Thanks

Greg