ESCONI's Braceville Shaft Mine Trip 9-19-20

Nimravis

I posted a field trip support to the ESCONI website.  https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/2020/09/mazon-monday-26-braceville-field-trip-report-fossils-mazoncreek-1.html

We've been doing a Mazon Monday feature for about 6 months now.  Check it out.  If anyone has any photos of fossils they'd like to contribute for Fossil Friday, let me know.  Any contributions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, we have been doing Trilobite Tuesday and Throwback Thursday.  Hopefully, you guys will find them useful!

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 4

Hey Nimravis,

I just wanted to thank you again for your fossil donations to this and past ESCONI field trip.  Everybody enjoyed rummaging through all the fossils.  Hidden in the concretions were some unusual ferns we found and handed out to some.  I've been leading this field trip for several years now and always see adults find their second childhood over the fossils you provided.

• I found this Informative 5

In response to Tully monsters, there was only one found decades ago to my knowledge.  It was immature, very small and thought to have washed out here with floxum.  This part of the biot was considered outside the range of Tully monsters.  Plants have been found by some over the years.  I have found a Alethopteris sullivanti and a chunk of Stygmaria which I help others find more of over a couple years.  It could have been over a foot square if put all together.  Anything found that is cigar or large spike shaped could be a fern here.  This fall's collecting was very unusual, with many concretions found on the surface.  There was no collecting of the spoil pile for almost a year.  Erosion was very generous but it is getting to be a problem making the ridges more dangerous especially for new bees.  Hope to see more of you out there in the years to come.

• I found this Informative 7

Great photos, Ralph!  It looks and sounds like it was a perfect day for fossil hunting.

(It was a perfect day up here on Saturday, too, so my parents, kids, and I went mushroom picking :))

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

@stats Rich, tonight I came across a few pictures that I took about 20 years ago of the Braceville Shaft Mine. I took these when they were taking a part of it down to use for fill on the sides of the road that goes over I-55. That was a great time since concretions were everywhere to be found. You will also see that vegetation was nonexistent.

442729A0-A9A8-4F70-A698-3ED992B279EB.thumb.jpeg.61bc862530e356ef3c10b2af907f3b3f.jpeg

43091EFD-0148-4C9E-9421-0C48BD18AB56.thumb.jpeg.a671bb3995cb698b8f2ac545fe80e200.jpeg

69679E0B-F592-4DA5-96D3-8E677ABF20B2.thumb.jpeg.412fc6efae2e5df0c2daa6addb2185b2.jpeg

EAFB91E6-0EEB-4A2B-B131-D19F05096BA3.thumb.jpeg.2e42ac9809e164f40317d7ea25414672.jpeg

B1DF0A80-A9B5-4222-9451-94F1AE54B630.thumb.jpeg.ea878c8d811c01f1dc6bd7d57163781a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome pictures... I was there for that.  I remember the trucks taking it away.  Back then, we used to park down the road to the east of the pile.   Now, that is just a swamp.  That's when they took out the richly fossiliferous area to the right.  Lots of nice worms came out of that area!

For the last half hour on Sunday, I was digging in the woods.  I found a few concretions.  I might dig a trench in the spring.   Maybe fresher concretions...

Cheers,

Rich

Rich @stats I believe I posted this picture some time ago, but if I did not, here it is again, I took this in September of 1995. That is my car and it was real nice being able to drive out there and not have a long way to go with concretions. The low area next to my car is a spot where my son and I could find a lot of old bottles.

B912192B-5218-49FB-93C5-C95582B9F16E.thumb.jpeg.9fe4f4869338f35d0d6886d160337cdd.jpeg

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Rich @stats I believe I posted this picture some time ago, but if I did not, here it is again, I took this in September of 1995. That is my car and it was real nice being able to drive out there and not have a long way to go with concretions. The low area next to my car is a spot where my son and I could find a lot of old bottles.

B912192B-5218-49FB-93C5-C95582B9F16E.thumb.jpeg.9fe4f4869338f35d0d6886d160337cdd.jpeg

Interesting!  I remember a tree at the top at one time... maybe the green at the top?

Cheers,

Rich

That early morning Illinois light makes me miss living in Chicago (: 

Glad everyone was able to hunt safely, trying to find a similar group here in SoCal. 

:horseshoecrab:

2 minutes ago, jort68 said:

That early morning Illinois light makes me miss living in Chicago (: 

Glad everyone was able to hunt safely, trying to find a similar group here in SoCal. 

:horseshoecrab:

Well it is only 48 right now, feels 42, but not a cloud in the sky.