Identification help

JLS62

Hi All

This is my first posting so I'm not exactly sure of how to go about things - if I get something wrong I am sure someone can point me in the right direction.  I started collecting in my teens - a long time ago, and used to pick up rocks, fossils and minerals from wherever I could, including market stalls and collecting. One of the items I have is a large and heavy piece of fossilised bone. I've never done anything about getting it identified but would like to start now.  Can someone point me in the right direction please.

OK, as an amendment I should have read the posting about identifying fossils and adding pictures - I've not taken any yet so will get round to it later.

IMG_2441.JPG

Edited by JLS62
Add picture

3 minutes ago, JLS62 said:

One of the items I have is a large and heavy piece of fossilised bone. I've never done anything about getting it identified but would like to start now.

Welcome to the forum! First things first, it would be nice if you could post pictures of your fossil so that some of our members can help you with identification.

1 minute ago, JLS62 said:

What's the easiest way to post pictures?

For me, I usually upload pictures from my phone to my computer and then drag the files as an attachment to the post/reply.

11 minutes ago, Paleostoric said:

For me, I usually upload pictures from my phone to my computer and then drag the files as an attachment to the post/reply.

34 minutes ago, JLS62 said:

One of the items I have is a large and heavy piece of fossilised bone.

I'm afraid you already have the most accurate identification. If you care to tell us where it was found someone may be able to narrow the possibilities a bit though.

Thank you Rockwood. Sadly I have no idea where it was found and I know this prohibits a real identification. However, given the size of it is anyone able to give me an idea of what it might be the femur of?