Fossil found on driveway

Microraptorfan

Found on my driveway in NE England, in sunderland I think it's of a rugose coral but dont know if it's possible to I'd to a species. 

20200920_143712.jpg

Definitely a cross section of a rugose coral. 

Maybe @TqB  will have some insight as to what genus/species.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Definitely a cross section of a rugose coral. 

Maybe @TqB  will have some insight as to what genus/species.

We'd need a clearer photo and scale to get much further. A Siphonodendron of some sort is a possibility judging from the regular looking dissepimentarium, but that depends on size and is just an impression.

It'll be Carboniferous anyway, from that area.

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

I'd agree with the others that's it's a rugose coral cross section and that it would be hard to ID from the current photo. 

Nothing like finding fossils right in the drive! I also have a few driveway finds in my collection. My previous house had a gravel drive with limestone/dolomite from a local quarry. I even found trilobites in mine. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was strange sitting in my driveway picking through rocks, but keep looking you are bound to find more neat stuff! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)