White River Formation small incisors - Rodent? Lagomorph?

Opabinia Blues

Hello! This is a small fossil from the White River Formation of Weld County, Colorado. To me it appears to be a set of front incisors rooted to a small piece of the maxilla or mandible. There are no teeth or tooth sockets next to the two that are there, and so this makes them look like the two incisors characteristic of rodents and lagomorphs. Interested if anyone can tell me anything else about them.

Two photos are through a stereo dissecting microscope at 20X magnification, the other two, though blurry, should give a sense of scale. The entire fossil is about 9 mm tall, with the tooth crowns themselves being about 4 mm tall.

224505D2-28FD-4891-AFCE-A26724AAF357.thumb.jpeg.b60c69030b0a19bc860cfc0955802219.jpeg

Thanks!

The not zoomed in photos look modern but it’s probably just the lighting. I don’t know what it is but a rodent would probably be a good guess

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

The not zoomed in photos look modern but it’s probably just the lighting. I don’t know what it is but a rodent would probably be a good guess

Thank you! It is just the lighting, I assure you this is a fossil, you’ll have to take my word for it though. I have a little bit of experience with White River fossils and have collected quite a bit from this location. I didn’t even realize it was a little piece of jaw with teeth until I got back, assumed it was a little bone fragment like the many others I pick up.

10 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

A picture of the chewing surface would help greatly in determining a definitive ID

This appears to be the chewing surface, I hope it is clear enough.

B316D1C3-F627-4220-849D-D6B5C31AE763.thumb.jpeg.3da0abd449496f195d8ff553dc403954.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

A picture of the chewing surface would help greatly in determining a definitive ID

Unless you meant the top surface, sorry about that potential misunderstanding. Here’s the best magnified view I could get of that.

827805D5-535E-41F9-9CE5-93E1B8D5079C.thumb.jpeg.dc2c4e34889104c3a2fca333e1395de0.jpeg

1 hour ago, OpabiniaBoogaloo said:

I assure you this is a fossil, you’ll have to take my word for it

I believe you, I just don’t have enough experience to ID it. I hope we find out what it is though, good luck

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looking at this I believe you don't have an incisor at all, but rather a section of a lower jaw with a tooth in it. Not sure exactly what from, maybe a rabbit or some kind of rodent. Perhaps @jpccan assist us. Below is a picture of a Palaeolagus lower jaw to demonstrate the section I believe you have.

20200920_205758.jpg.04263d67ba204e83c7c0b693a55a0b79.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

36 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Looking at this I believe you don't have an incisor at all, but rather a section of a lower jaw with a tooth in it. Not sure exactly what from, maybe a rabbit or some kind of rodent. Perhaps @jpccan assist us. Below is a picture of a Palaeolagus lower jaw to demonstrate the section I believe you have.

20200920_205758.jpg.04263d67ba204e83c7c0b693a55a0b79.jpg

Thank you! That actually makes a lot of sense looking at that view.

I just saw this... Huntonia has got it.  This is a Paleolagus lower jaw frag... premolar or molar, not incisors.  I am not sure of the dental formula for rabbits.  

• I found this Informative 3

@jpc recent rabbit bottom : PM1 - PM2 - M1 - M2 - M3 (Perhaps I have to write pm1 - pm2 - m1 - m2 - m3 ?).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

29 minutes ago, Coco said:

@jpc recent rabbit bottom : PM1 - PM2 - M1 - M2 - M3 (Perhaps I have to write pm1 - pm2 - m1 - m2 - m3 ?).

Coco

Thanks, coco.  So this fossil is the jaw fragment with lower first premolar.  I think that is one tooth, as opposed to first and second premolars, but anyone else feel free to correct me.  

I have forgoten "I", but I don't think they are important here :oO:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

25 minutes ago, jpc said:

Thanks, coco.  So this fossil is the jaw fragment with lower first premolar.  I think that is one tooth, as opposed to first and second premolars, but anyone else feel free to correct me.  

It is a single tooth, p1.  I was too slow to the ID party :)

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, Coco said:

I have forgoten "I", but I don't think they are important here :oO:

Coco

Actually, coco, one of the distinguishing characters of rabbits is two upper incisors.  No rodent has this.  Rabbits have a small incisor behind each main front upper teeth.  Also, there are zero canines.  

• I found this Informative 1