Eurypterid sites around Buffalo

3eds2w

Hi everyone - My wife and I were thinking about going eurypterid hunting this weekend or next if the weather cooperates.  I was wondering if anyone is willing to share any public sites found around the Buffalo area (I know the Williamsville member is exposed in many places around Buffalo).  Of course, we would not share this info anyone.  Also, if anyone will be out at a site - we could even meet you there.  I have a geology background but know very little about this area.  Thanks!  Pete 

Check out this post

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Canada is not letting yanks in.  It may be another year before that happens, maybe more.  Basically, the US will have to get Covid transmission rates down to Canadian levels.  Last week the county I work in, in Georgia, had twice as many positive cases as the entire province of Ontario, so I would say we (the US) has some work to do.

Also, my understanding is that the quarry in Ontario has consumed the most productive area for eurypterids.  The area available for searching now is much less productive.  Bear in mind that "searching" means digging down several inches into a very hard dolomitic limestone, then trying to pry up slabs.  It takes a long day of hard work to uncover a small area of the right layer.  In the "good times" you might find a decent eurypterid once per 10-20 visits.  Now it's more like once per 50+ visits.  @Malcolmt can say if I'm on the right track with this.

Don

The eurypterid quarry in Ontario has blasted away all of the exposed formation that contained the eurypterids ... They are now excavating below that layer. Unfortunately because of how busy they have gotten and Covid they are for the foreseeable future not letting collectors into that pit .....  So we loose on all counts....

We are hearing up here that the border is likely to remain closed till at least January (probably longer) for all non essential traffic. Unfortunately your numbers south of the border are not good .... Wearing masks and socially distancing is working up here ...although we are seeing small blips now that school has restarted. FYI Students up here could choose to go in person or do it solely online from kindergarten through end of high school. About 60% in Ontario have elected to go the online route.....

It is true that the ridgemount quarry has no more viable Eurypterid exposures. Just when I was getting a chance to go in late 2019 I heard it was done. 

46 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

It is true that the Ridgemount quarry has no more viable Eurypterid exposures. Just when I was getting a chance to go in late 2019 I heard it was done. 

There is another eurypterid layer (Fiddler's Green)  about 30 feet below the Williamsville layer that we have been taking advantage of for decades. Blasting that they have been doing has the potential to exposé portions of that layer if they let us back in and if they let us collect anywhere near where they have blasted. In the past we have not been allowed anywhere close to current operations.

• I found this Informative 2

41 minutes ago, jpc said:

Well, darn.  This saddens me.  That quarry and its eurypterids has been on my bucket list.  

They will get to the Fiddler's layer and there is always the chance that at some point they will expand the pit as opposed to going deeper as they are doing now. Unfortunately the layer below the Williamsville make better gravel

15 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

They will get to the Fiddler's layer and there is always the chance that at some point they will expand the pit as opposed to going deeper as they are doing now. Unfortunately the layer below the Williamsville make better gravel

so I can keep dreaming....  : )