Cleaning fossils with soap and water

Jurassicz1

I clean my fossils with normal soap and water using a toothbrush. But this time i think i broke a piece of a really Nice crinoid stem. Either that or im just overthinking like i have done before. But the question is what matrix is Good for cleaning and whats not. The crinoid was not in any matrix. There was a mix of shale and limestone there. I know shale is not good to clean with water. I got some horn corals that are kinda muddy. No matrix but it wont easily get off the fossil. Well after the crinoid im not sure if i should use soap and water. What other things can i use? Anyways heres the crinoid. And how can u know a old damage from erosion or a fresh damage? Sorry for all the questions and long text :)20200921_133452.thumb.jpg.cbdf2bc3a67ef35b6dfad898d51a4ea1.jpg

I never use soap on my fossils. I usually use warm water, and an old, soft toothbrush. 

I do this in a basin, rather than a sink, so that if any pieces break off, I can find them and reattach them.

For stubborn mud that adheres, a bit of hydrogen peroxide usually will remove it. Sometimes I will soak it in a small bowl of HP

Just make sure to rinse the fossil with water thoroughly afterwards. 

Then use warm water and a soft brush. 

It is difficult to narrow down what kind of matrices can be cleaned. Most can be cleaned up one way or another.

I usually test a lesser specimen to see what different things will do for it, before using something on a good specimen. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Echinoderm material can always be a potential problem because it is made of calcite crystals that can fracture along crystal faces.   You should check for micro fractures that might break before getting too energetic with brushing.

Instead of soap, you could brush with a paste of wet baking soda.  That is abrasive enough to remove sticky mud and some shale, but it is not abrasive enough to abrade calcite significantly.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I never use soap on my fossils. I usually use warm water, and an old, soft toothbrush. 

I do this in a basin, rather than a sink, so that if any pieces break off, I can find them and reattach them.

This is also my normal cleaning process. 

Definitely use a basin, bucket, cup, or any sort of container when cleaning. I learned this the hard way. Nothing like frantically grabbing at that small fossil you missed in the murky water as you watch it go down the drain! :( 

I use a variety of brushes. From a soft tooth brush to a very stiff nylon bristle brush. It depends on the fossil condition and matrix as to what brush might be needed. As FossilDude19 said, testing a lesser specimen first is the way to go, or even just grabbing a bit of matrix to test with and see how it reacts to water and scrubbing. 

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I also wonder if you really need to use soap.  I use two basins, (empty one liter yogurt containers) one for washing, and one for rinsing.  The wash water will get muddy very quickly and if you don't rinse you will get a wee layer of mud on your fossils.  Then I discard both on the garden, never down the sink cuz they are full of rocks and mud.   

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, Fossildude19 said:

For stubborn mud that adheres, a bit of hydrogen peroxide usually will remove it. Sometimes I will soak it in a small bowl of HP

Just make sure to rinse the fossil with water thoroughly afterwards. 

Then use warm water and a soft brush. 

It is difficult to narrow down what kind of matrices can be cleaned. Most can be cleaned up one way or another.

I usually test a lesser specimen to see what different things will do for it, before using something on a good specimen. 

I do it with a toothbrush and spray some water. Under a ikea lamp is that okay? Heard they can discolor when the sun dries. Them can a rooms lamp discolor them too?

I think sun discoloration is more for bones and teeth. And that is after years of exposure. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me