Geodized fossils from the Mississippian of southern Indiana

traveltip1

I found these several geodized Mississippian marine fossils in southern Indiana. They may not all be hollow with quartz crystals inside, but many are.

The fossils usually balloon in size in the geode-forming process. 

Here's 2 sides of a crinoid calyx...

IMG_20200812_090020.jpg

IMG_20200812_085927.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

And here's a gastropod next to modern shell. You can just make out the whorls on the high spire of the fossil.

IMG_20200911_085926.jpg

I think this may be a bivalve....?

Photos are complete geode fossil, and split in half showing nice quartz crystals inside.

IMG_20200921_121137.jpg

IMG_20200921_120915.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Hi,

1 hour ago, traveltip1 said:

I found these several geodized Mississippian marine fossils in southern Indiana. They may not all be hollow with quartz crystals inside, but many are.

The fossils usually balloon in size in the geode-forming process. 

Here's 2 sides of a crinoid calyx...

IMG_20200812_090020.jpg

IMG_20200812_085927.jpg

@fifbrindacier do you know the quartz geods from Doazit in 40 ? The first photo in this post reminds me of the quartz geodes over there. I never assumed that they could actually be fossils at the base. What do you think about that ? Do you know anything about their were formed (we find them in the fields ...).

Interesting, traveltip1.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, traveltip1 said:

Here's a crinoid....

IMG_20200921_120708.jpg

:wub::wub::wub:

Awesome crinoids! I have some "geodized" crinoids I've found here in my area, they are much smaller in comparison though. I say geodized in quotations because mine are steinkerns of the calyx, that sometimes contain either druzy or botryoidal quartz inside the casts.

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

@fifbrindacier do you know the quartz geods from Doazit in 40 ? The first photo in this post reminds me of the quartz geodes over there. I never assumed that they could actually be fossils at the base. What do you think about that ? Do you know anything about their were formed (we find them in the fields ...).

Interesting, traveltip1.

Coco

You're perfectly right coco, the geods of Doazit i have have exactly the same look than in the first pic.

I can see here a gastropod on the second pic, i'm not sure about the crinoids and bivalve identifications but geodised fossils can't be ruled out.

They are Chalcedony : it's a specific organization crystals of quartz with the transformation of silice into dioxydes of silicium.

In Doazit they start from nodules of silex. There is no fossil in that place, but, silicium is an important composant in some fossils. I particularly think about sponges.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Here are geods of Doazit :

1)

IMG_20200922_092304.thumb.jpg.c1161a3118dfd927d3ab58e4f7e791d4.jpgIMG_20200922_092344.thumb.jpg.cedd3920044ac3f064d8f451cf01dc24.jpg

2)

IMG_20200922_092423.thumb.jpg.ec435de976cff6d1d2f0a212388b2c4e.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey All,

I received an identification inquiry about some fossils a fellow found under a tree in Tallahassee, Florida. He brought them to me and I spent a long time looking at them wondering what Florida fossil they could be. I finally made the assumption they must be some sort of silicified coral I had never seen. Then I cut one open, and finding no internal fabric reminiscent of a coral, began to doubt my initial thought that it was a coral at all. The quartz crystals were also much larger than those myself and others have seen in a Florida geode. We consulted with a few of our emeritus geologists and they immediately recognized them as Mississippian geodes. So these fossils were actually exotic yard ornaments in Florida. I learned a valuable lesson about being skeptical of locations where people claim they have found something. I appreciate yall's earlier posts and pictures which gave me very good context for the information that our emeritus geologists shared with me. I have added some pictures of the specimens that were brought to me. 

TC_Spec1.jpg

TC_Spec2.jpg

TC_Spec3.jpg

TC_Spec4.jpg

• 6 months later...

To assume that you were important enough for me to lie to is really funny because your not I have the physical address of the job site were they were uncovered then found by me I had no reason to lie to you then or now and again as before thank you for the info on my stones 

22 minutes ago, Myrocks said:

To assume that you were important enough for me to lie to is really funny because your not I have the physical address of the job site were they were uncovered then found by me I had no reason to lie to you then or now and again as before thank you for the info on my stones 

Help us out to understand your post better by using punctuation. Also, please reference the post that you are replying to. Is this a reply to Echinerd’s March 31 post?:

I received an identification inquiry about some fossils a fellow found under a tree in Tallahassee, Florida. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 3/31/2022 at 10:42 AM, Echinerd said:

So these fossils were actually exotic yard ornaments in Florida. I learned a valuable lesson about being skeptical of locations where people claim they have found something. 

I might have been offended by this remark if I had been the finder.  I doubt that the geodes were Myrocks' yard ornaments, and I doubt that Echinerd intended to imply a prevarication.  But, the way this "valuable lesson" is phrased is problematic:  Echinerd's skepticism is directed at the finder's CLAIM rather than at the true nature of the exotic find.  This strikes me as a lapse of eloquence instead of a slam at the finder.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest