Rockhounding around Guernsey/Wheatland

REW01

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the geology subforum. I've been getting in some rockhounding day trips with a friend before winter sets in here in WY and in CO. We like cool minerals as much as we do fossils. I have found various reports of kyanite, corundum, and other minerals coming out of schists west of Wheatland, WY in the Palmer Canyon area. I've also heard anecdotally from a relative of geodes near Guernsey, WY. Also anecdotally ammonites near Wheatland, though from what I know about the geology close by, I'm not sure this makes sense.

Has anyone gone hunting in either of these places? If so, did you find anything interesting or have slightly more detailed information on the places to look? I've only been able to extract so much information online and through BLM data for what's public land and what's not, as well as some WSGS publications. 

The area around Wheatland has rocks of a variety of ages.  Honestly, it is one part of the state I have never collected.  So, I know very little.  A lot of it is state land (Glendo and Guernsey), no collecting allowed there.  As for the rest, all I can say is get permission from the landowners....  

(yeah, the geology map suggests you have to go a long ways from Wheatland to find ammonites.  )

46 minutes ago, REW01 said:

@jpc

Any suggestions of other places to hunt that you've been? For both fossils or minerals. Bonus if it's within 2-3 hours of Laramie/Cheyenne. 

That is a tough one.  I spend a lot of time and energy finding my spots.  I don't give them away.  For example, last Tuesday I spent the whole day driving from Casper to Lusk looking for new ranches where I could collect... I got one.  The whole day.   Have you considered joining the Cheyenne rock club?  They are pretty active and do both fossils and minerals.  (I have been doing this in WY for 30 years, so I have accumulated quite a few).   

Edit:  I see you are at UW.  I don't think there is a rock club in Laramie.    

• I found this Informative 1
15 minutes ago, jpc said:

That is a tough one.  I spend a lot of time and energy finding my spots.  I don't give them away.  For example, last Tuesday I spent the whole day driving from Casper to Lusk looking for new ranches where I could collect... I got one.  The whole day.   Have you considered joining the Cheyenne rock club?  They are pretty active and do both fossils and minerals.  (I have been doing this in WY for 30 years, so I have accumulated quite a few).   

Edit:  I see you are at UW.  I don't think there is a rock club in Laramie.    

I didn’t know there was a rock club in Cheyenne. Outside of university clubs (that don’t do much of anything), I’m not aware of any sort of club in Laramie. I’m only at UW until I graduate in December, so not super practical for me to join local clubs right now perhaps. I’ll keep it in mind. 

I’m not necessarily asking for anyone to give away spots, per-say. I’m really more interested in collecting on public land at the moment as opposed to gaining permission of landowners. Since I’m not going to be sticking around in Wyoming after I’ve graduated and don’t know where I’m going for grad school yet. I may make a couple forays into WY before next fall and starting a grad program but I don’t think it’s super practical for me to work on gaining relationships with land owners. Especially with so much public land in WY, I’m sure I can find somewhere a little off the beaten path.