How do i prep this super thin matrix?

Jurassicz1

16007652747297576956932987945019.thumb.jpg.c81391d9bacde76a0e5464fcf1eb883c.jpgFound this trilobite a while ago. But i have no idea how to prep it. The matrix is super thin some parts i can prep. I will probably damage the fossil if i try to prep the thin parts. Any tips? 16007649235646392739020806210921.thumb.jpg.8379e0982826a27f28b8b80253001c64.jpg

An air abrader would work; but if you dont have one; use a pin vice to pick away at it. How easy it comes off depends on whether there is a plane of weakness between the fossil and the matrix.

2 hours ago, connorp said:

Maybe I'm blind, but can you point out the trilobite? Not seeing it.

To me, the whole thing looks somewhat like a big pygidium. If this is really the case (and not pareidolia on my side), I don´t know what to prep...

Franz Bernhard

20 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

To me, the whole thing looks somewhat like a big pygidium. If this is really the case (and not pareidolia on my side), I don´t know what to prep...

Franz Bernhard

Yes you are correct. Pigidium of a trilobite. Very worn. Probably some type of Asaphid.

This looks like a pretty typical Ordovician partial trilobite from the middle of Southern Sweden. This looks like it might be from Kinnekulle. These types of trilobite fossils are pretty common there.

Most of this though looks like the internal mold of the pigidium. Only the small portion on the right is still part of the actual carapace. And thus only the little bits of matrix on the right edge could potentially be removed.

I've never used air abrasion on these types of fossils before, but it might yield good results. I normally prep these by hand using dental picks. It takes a lot of time though. The rock is often fairly hard and the thin trilobite remains are often fragile and can easily splinter.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

9 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes you are correct. Pigidium of a trilobite. Very worn. Probably some type of Asaphid.

This looks like a pretty typical Ordovician partial trilobite from the middle of Southern Sweden. This looks like it might be from Kinnekulle. These types of trilobite fossils are pretty common there.

Most of this though looks like the internal mold of the pigidium. Only the small portion on the right is still part of the actual carapace. And thus only the little bits of matrix on the right edge could potentially be removed.

I've never used air abrasion on these types of fossils before, but it might yield good results. I normally prep these by hand using dental picks. It takes a lot of time though. The rock is often fairly hard and the thin trilobite remains are often fragile and can easily splinter.

Yep! Kinnekulle. How do you learn all types of trilobites and orthoceras? Im very bad at it and always in doubt trying to id a species :)

4 minutes ago, Jurassicz said:

Yep! Kinnekulle. How do you learn all types of trilobites and orthoceras? Im very bad at it and always in doubt trying to id a species :)

I have a few trilobites from Kinnekulle here on the site.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/collections-database/arthropods/trilobites/&d=4&page=4

But for a much better and more complete view. There's this fantastic website with lots of trilobites from Sweden.
http://triloswede.com/

• I found this Informative 1

this doesnt need prepping, there is no shell left apart from the thin bit on the edge, all you see is the mould which will be damaged by prepping:)

The internal mold should indeed not be prepped since there is nothing to prep. The small portion of the edge on the right however can be prepped, since it does preserve the actual shell. But it's likely fragile an should be approached carefully.